Chapter 15

" How do we kill it if the swords are broken!?" Inosuke shouts, losing his mind.

I lock eyes with the demon as it swings at me. I duck and wait for it's momentum to bring it forward. I land an uppercut blow, forcing the demon into the air for a second.

" Just use the halves!" I shout.

Inosuke lunges forward, going for another attack, but then he stops midair.

" Hold on... why am I listening to you!?" Inosuke questions.

He grins.

" I'll just do it my own way!"

Of course he has to start this now. There's no time to argue when we're facing a demon this strong!

" Don't!" I yell as he smashes his swords into the demon's arms.

It grabs Inosuke by the stomach with its claws and holds him in front of its face. My eyes widen as I see it's jaws open, recalling when it bit off my arm. Terror causes me to move without a plan. I can't let the same fate fall upon Inosuke. I dive at the arm holding my friend, jaw open wide. Grabbing the demon's wrist and forearm, I clamp my teeth down on it's flesh. A loud crunching sound echoes through the trees as I fall to the ground with the demon's hand in my mouth. Blood sprays my face, which has already been coated in the crimson liquid. I spit the arm out of my mouth as the blood leaks out as well. Swallowing the blood I stand up and stare at the bewildered demon. That blood tasted...good...

" How does it feel?" I ask the demon, grinning wide.

It takes a step back, surprised. Inosuke stands up beside me and takes a step back as well. Rushing at the spider demon, I slam my palm into his face, grabbing his head and slamming his body to the ground. The earth cracks under the pressure and explodes in pieces. My eyes are wide and crazy as satisfaction crawls through me. I make my hand into a point and shove my it into the demon's lower half. I pierce it's skin and it howls, blood spraying the earth. I laugh maniacally as I wrap my hand around something stiff in the demon's stomach. When I pull my hand out, my eyes land on my severed arm in my hand. Blood sprays from the demon's wound. As I'm paying no attention, the demon kicks me off of it. I don't feel anything as I realign my arm, which is covered in some type of goo. Feeling slowly returns as cords of red seep into the flesh. A popping noise followed by a squish was the result of me re-attaching it. I laugh again, closing and opening my hands. I only have one question on my mind: how in the hell did I just reattach my arm?

" A-Aku?" Inosuke asks quietly.

I spin around to face him. He looks scared...is afraid of me? The demon sprints away and I waste no time following it, leaving Inosuke behind. I don't want him to be scared of me, he's my friend. I don't like it when people I care about are scared of me because I'm different. What if he sees me differently now? What if he tells Tanjiro and they cast me out?

Forget about the boy, torture the demon.

I don't want him to be scared of me. I pause as I come up on a cacoon shaped thing. I hear footsteps stop behind me. They proceed to cautiously approach me.

" It regrew the arm I cut off last time it did this, but it got stronger," Inosuke explains.

He doesn't sound like his usual self. Not as outgoing or battle hungry. I nod as a hissing sound befalls the dark forest. The demon emerges once again, however this time it's bigger and it has the arm back. 

A sharp tang pierces the air and I snap my head up, looking around the trees. While I lose my focus, the demon hits me with it's fist, sending me flying back into a tree once again. Exhaustion catches up with me as I cough out more blood. I watch, unable to stand, as it grabs Inosuke by the head with one it. As I'm about to hobble over to try and help, the demon's arm slices clean off and Inosuke falls to the ground, making a weird noise. I narrow my eyes as I recognize the scent that had distracted me in the first place.

A man, holding a blue katana stands silently. As the demon charges, the man jumps into the air, swinging is sword. Water erupts from it and he lands perfectly. It's another demon slayer. I'm relieved since we had no way of killing the demon, but I haven't quite calmed down, nor do I look human.

The demon's head lands with a thump and the body starts to dissipate. My anger falters as the man turns to me. I stand up, reluctantly as he prepares to attack. I put my hands in the air, knowing I'd be dead if he were to attack.

" Easy," I begin, voice scratchy, " I'm not a demon. Just not human either."

He doesn't answer, but he looks down at inosuke.

" You smell like one," he mumbles.

I look away.

" But I'm not. Listen, I don't want to fight, I just need to find my friend. Tanjiro," I say.

He looks up at me sharply.

" You know Tanjiro?"

" Yes. I also know of Nezuko and her predicament."

He pauses.

" You look like a demon and you're as durable as one. Yet you aren't?"

He seems as if he still wants to attack me.

" Correct. However, I am the creation of a blood demon art. I killed that demon though and I have killed two others of his kind."

I can't tell what he's thinking as he stares me down. Before I know it, he's standing beside me, sword piercing my stomach. I still don't feel much pain as blood leaks out around the blade. He leaves his sword there for a second before pulling it out. Blood spatters the floor.

" Was that a test?" I ask.

He doesn't reply.

" I'll go find Tanjiro, you stay and protect the boy until help arrives, then get out of here."

And with that, the man leaves me a bloody mess as he departs.