Chapter 46

It's been a while since the encounter with the two Upper Moon Six's. Tanjiro hasn't waken up. I've been on a few missions and yesterday I just completed the one that I was teamed up with Rei and Arukawa. I told them what happened and how I may or may not be a demon.

Surprisingly, they were more worried that I didn't come back. They said that they thought I had died. Honestly, I thought they'd hate me. Arukawa was especially understanding, saying stuff like "demon or not, you're still you." I'll admit, I was shocked at this. How can I hate him after what he's said? I've also noticed that his personality is similar to Tanjiro's, which is why at first I didn't like him. I didn't like how he made it feel like he was replacing Tanjiro. Now, I see their differences and we're cool.

" Hey Aku!" Rei shouts, throwing an arm over my shoulder.

" Hey," I respond, yawning.

" Wanna eat me yet?"

" Not yet," I laugh.

" Anyways, Shinobu wants to see you, but I said you were busy!" she declares.

I smile gratefully. We walk for a moment in silence before she says something I didn't expect her to.

" It's okay to be worried. You don't have to keep yourself busy while someone you consider family is gravely hurt...why don't you go see him?"

I look at her in surprise.

I never thought that she'd even think about something like that. I guess I kind of expected her to not understand...

" Unless you're thinking of something else?"

When I don't respond again she assumes.

"He won't hate you..." she pauses, " ...for going with Akaza and taking blood from the Demon King..."

" But you don't know that. I know that he's an understanding person but what if he thinks I betrayed him?" I finally say.

" He won't. You saved him, right?" she gently guides me to the room that Tanjiro's sleeping in, " just go sit with him."

Panic rises like a lump in my throat and I quickly distance myself from her.

" I-I don't want to."

" Don't give me that," she sighs.

I stare at her, silently pleading for her to come with me. I may not be afraid of much, but I am absolutely terrified of Tanjiro or Nezuko hating me. However, I've been around Nezuko a few times after she woke up and she seems exactly the same even after I told her so, I'm not that worried.

Tanjiro on the other hand...

She grabs my arm and drags me with her to Tanjiro's room. She opens the door and I'm reluctant to walk in, but she pushes me aggressively.

" Oh, hey Aku," Aoi says, wiping Tanjiro's forehead with a cloth.

" Hi..." I laugh nervously, " how...is he?"

Rei walks in the room and quietly closes the door.

" He's still unconscious, but his wounds are healed and hopefully he'll wake up soon," Aoi answers calmly.

" I'm guessing there's nothing I can do though," I whisper.

" No, but knowing you visited would be good for him if he does wake up."

" When," I correct her firmly.

There's a knock at the door and Shinobu pokes her head in.

" So this is why you're busy," she laughs, her smile the same as ever, " I've come to talk to you about your new mission."

" Please not right now," I roll my eyes.

She ignores me and keeps talking.

" When Tanjiro wakes up, he's going to need a sword. My guess is that he's going to have to go to the Swordsmith village. Now, there's probably no way we can hide it from you if you do go, so I'm just going to show you the way today. There, Mitsuri, the Love Pillar, will take care of you and watch over you. Don't try anything or she will kill you."

There's the threat. Shinobu always threatens me when I go somewhere around other people.

" And what's the mission part?" I respond.

" To relax."

I look at her in surprise. She wants me to relax? While Tanjiro is in a coma and could never wake up?

" Lets go, we're leaving right now," Shinobu orders, " Rei you can come for a bit."

" Oh, we're going right now?" I ask.

" Yes of course. I have business tomorrow and I need to be the one to take you."

She shoves me out the door and leads me down the hallway. Once we're standing outside, she informs me that though I most likely will know where this village is located, I need to wear a blindfold.

Reluctantly, I kneel and allow her to tie the black cloth around my head. The sun is drained from my vision and all I'm left with is darkness.

" Woah, this is some good material! Do they come in different colours?" I hear Rei's voice.

The next thing I know I'm being pushed forward by a hand placed squarely on my back.

I'm not sure how long we've been walking for when Shinobu suddenly lifts the blindfold off of my face. The bright light hits my eyes and I immediately narrow them.

" We're here," she says in a low gentle tone.

I spin around to find that I'm surrounded by village houses and wandering people. Some of them are giving me weird looks and others pay no attention.

" There's so many people," I whisper.

" And they all know that you're not human," she nods.

They all know? Who told them all?

" It's alright though, they trust Mitsuri to keep you in check," she laughs once she sees the look on my face.

" Oh you're finally here!" I hear a woman's voice, " it's so good to actually meet you Aku!"

I see a woman with pink and green hair approaching us with a wide smile.

" Um...nice to meet you too?" I laugh nervously.

" It's so awesome how you were the one to slice the Upper Moon Six's head off! And don't worry about the not human thing, if my Master supports you then I do too!" she shouts.

" Thank you?"

She reminds me of Rei.

" I'll show you around!"

Too much like Rei.

She grabs my hand and drags me with her, leaving Shinobu behind. What's with people dragging me places today?! First Rei, then Shinobu and now this pink haired lady who's name I don't even know!

" Oh, I'm Mitsuri Kanroji by the way, the Love Hashira!"