Chapter 42

How am I meant to get out of this? The Flame Hashira couldn't survive, there's no way I could escape. I would only live due to my regeneration because Akaza wouldn't be able to fully kill me.

" So, Aku. You ready to become a demon?" Akaza smiles, reaching his hand out to me.

" I already told you. I'm not going to be a demon so lay off," I hiss.

" That's fine. I'll just beat up these two until you agree!" he laughs.

I may not care all that much for Arukawa, but I don't want to upset Nezuko or Tanjiro by simply letting them die. I could survive until sunrise and escape, but these two can't.

" Aku, what does he mean?" Arukawa asks.

I don't want to tell him, but it seems now that I don't have a choice.

" I...well, while you and Tanjiro were fighting the demon in that village...I kinda had a...chat with this demon here. Apparently he wants me to take blood from his master so I can join him and be stronger," I explain reluctantly.

" What?! And you didn't tell any of the pillars?!" Arukawa shouts.

Just then, Akaza leaps forwards and grabs him by the jaw, shoving Arukawa's face into the dirt. I could barely make out his movements and that just makes things clearer. There is no way I can escape with these two surviving.

For a moment, I wonder if I should abandon them, but something inside of me just doesn't let me. I don't want this to happen. I don't want to become a demon. However, the safest way to do things is to become a demon and try to escape. The only problem is, I don't know if I can bring myself out of that grave I'll be digging for myself.

" Aku. You can't beat me. No one here can beat me. Its a lose-lose."

I ball my hand into a fist and grit my teeth.

Arukawa lifts his head subtly and groans in shock. I wince as Akaza takes a step towards Rei.

I take a deep breath and walk to block his path.

" I won't let you hurt her," I spit.

" Oh yeah?"

If he wanted us dead, I know we'd all be dead by now. That's how large the gap in power is between us.

I know what I have to do, but that lingering thought of me not being able to come back prevents me from speaking.

" Aku, let's go. We don't have time to waste," Akaza extends a hand.

Reluctantly, I reach out for his hand and let him grip my wrist tightly. I look back at Rei and smile.

" Go home Rei. Everything will be fine," I try to reassure her.

I have to do this. And I will come back.

" But-"

" Go home," I cut her off, sternly this time.

Uneasiness stirs inside of me and it rises like a lump in my throat. I swallow hard as Akaza drags me away from Rei and Arukawa.

" I'll come back, that's a promise," I mouth to her just before we turn the corner.

" I'm so glad you agreed to come with me," Akaza smiles, " you are smarter than Kyojuro."

I tense up.

" He made the right choice. I just didn't have another option," I spit.

" Oh you had another option. You could've let those two die, but you decided against it. You're going soft," he whispers the last part.