Chapter 23

I wait eagerly all day. I wasn't allowed to speak or see my friends though, which I kind of odd. I wanted to say goodbye before I left because who knows how long it'll be before we see each other again. I wanted to wish Nezuko happy days as well and tell her some stuff since I haven't seen her in a while.

I don't want to leave them, but I don't think I have a choice. However, why couldn't they come with me? Why did it have to be someone new? 

Another thing, I'm not allowed to wear my mask anymore. I'd rather not have people I don't know seeing my face, it makes me uncomfortable. I have no clue why it's forbidden though, it's just a mask, just half of my face being covered. Shinobu is the one who doesn't like it and I guess it's okay... Tanjiro did say it was nice to see my face.

" For your last day here, is there anything you want to do Aku?" Shinobu stops me.

" Uh...not in particular," I answer.

I'm still pretty hurt about what she had said, so I refuse to do anything to get too close to her. She's upset about it, for some reason. I know I said I wanted her to be my friend in the past, but not anymore.

I don't want to work with someone new. Ask to work with our friends. 

" No. We will do as we're told," I say under my breath.

Such a disappointment.

I don't answer this time, instead I return to my room. Final day being cooped up in this building. Got to say, I'm pretty excited. I won't have to see Shinobu's face for a while. I sit in my room, continuing concentration breathing throughout the night. I couldn't sleep, which isn't uncommon anymore. I used to be able to, but now I barely can. I decide to go for a walk to do more training. It's my last day of this crap...well...for now. 

I jump onto a rooftop and stretch myself out, taking in the white light of the moon. Breathing deeply, I can smell a new scent on the horizon, travelling ever so slowly. It smells like a girl, but she has a very sweet scent. Oh, that's another thing. I've begun to be able to tell someone's personality by their scent. This one smells kindhearted and bubbly, similar to Tanjiro.

I just realized... I'm going to miss him and the others. This is the first time this subject has crossed my mind and it is immediately met with a pang. I drop my shoulders, un-tensing my body and letting it rest. I have a big day tomorrow.

As the sun rises, that scent grows closer and closer by the minute. I can now smell Kagaya's scent as well. They're here, so I leap off of the building and go to the entrance to the property. I'm met with a rather short girl who has brown hair. I eye her, inspecting her. 

" Uh, hi!" she laughs awkwardly.

I narrow my eyes at her and cross my arms.

" Don't be bothered by him, that's just how Aku is. Once you get to know him he's a nice person to be around though," Kagaya smiles.

" So you're the infamous Aku! Not gonna lie, I thought you'd look more evil!" she grins, " I'm Rei Hinata! It's a pleasure to meet you!"

She sticks out her hand for me to shake. I take a step back in disgust. 

" I don't like touching other people," I say sternly.

" That's alright!"

What an odd girl. She's like Tanjiro but with twenty times the energy. It's too much.

" You two should be on your way. There's a strong demon lurking in a cave somewhere to the south. Find it and kill it," Kagaya explains.

" I have to go with her right now?" I say.

Kagaya nods. I roll my eyes in annoyance.

" Oh, I knew you'd be unhappy about this so," he reaches for something behind his back, " I got you something to hide your face. Since half masks aren't allowed."

He pulls out a white mask that has two dark ovals in the center.

" Plus it acts like armor. I'm told that it'd be a shame to see your face scarred up because it's rather good looking," he laughs.

Heat flushes my face and my ears burn.

" What the hell?!" I shout, grabbing the mask quickly.

They both laugh at this. The sun reaches the middle of the sky and I decide that if I have to do this, we should do this now. I push past the two and walk out into the woods. Shortly after I leave, Rei follows me.

" I'm excited to work with you!" she says pleasantly.

I scoff at her and keep my gaze ahead of me.

" Oh come on! We're gonna be partners! We have to work together!" 

She talks too much. It reminds me of someone else...

" What's your favorite color? Mines pink!"

I look her up and down again, unimpressed.

" I know you may not trust me yet, but you will! Here, I was told you like oranges," she hands me a perfectly ripe orange.

I grab it quickly and carry it in my left hand as we travel south until dusk. Unfortunately, we're still in the woods and I'm assuming that humans can't see in the dark.

" We'll wait for sunrise here. Feel free to sleep, I'll keep watch," I say as I sit, propping myself up against a tree.

" I just need to go to the bathroom first, so please stay here," she laughs.

Why is she laughing? What is there to laugh about? I inspect the orange closely, checking for any traces of poison. To my surprise, there isn't any, so I put the whole thing in my mouth after peeling it. Rei comes back and lays down on the soft grass, putting her katana beside her.

" So what's your backstory?" she asks.

I refuse to answer her, not wanting a new person to know about personal stuff right away.

" My parents got turned into demons when I was younger..."

I snap my head up. Suddenly that happy, bubbly presence has disappeared.

" My father attacked me and cut my face open," she explains, brushing hair behind her ear, " and left me with this nasty scar. Someone rescued me though. Did someone rescue you?"

I look to the ground, spinning my thumbs.

" No one rescued me. I rescued myself."

" I'm sorry..."

" It's fine. I had to be their karma, or they would've hurt more people," I answer reluctantly.

" Well, now if you get into trouble, I'll come and rescue you!" she smiles.

That's my job. 

" I'm sorry your friends couldn't come along. Master told me you took a liking to some siblings and think of them as your family...I know what it's like to want to protect people, to want no one to experience the things you did. That's why I became a demon slayer, to make sure no one would feel the same horror I felt."

" That's a good reason," I sigh.

She kept talking for a while, explaining why she likes pink, her favorite foods, how she's happy that her sword is a pinkish color, all of the stuff I didn't really need to know about. I was glad when she finally fell asleep. The cool air was peaceful and the leaves rustled in the breeze. It's a rather nice night. Suddenly, the air shifts from blowing left to blowing straight at me. This is when I pick up that ugly scent. The one of a demon...and by the smell of it, the demon is a lower moon.

!ARC!: The oc Rei Hinata does not belong to me. She was created by:

 aether is obsessed with danganronpa-themusicgeek- on Quotev, who allowed me to use her in my fanfic. Much thanks!

 Go check them out! https://www.quotev.com/themusicgeek