Chapter 16

I grip my stomach tightly to avoid losing too much blood, however, I don't think that's of any issue. My arm was bleeding constantly for who knows how long. I can't believe that the man just stabbed me and left, not even saying if it was a test. I do believe it was though, some wicked test of not hurting humans maybe. 

I sit down next to Inosuke, placing a hand on his shoulder. He's a little cold to the touch and his breathing is ragged. I don't know what I can do to help and it's making me feel weird. It's like sinking into a pit of tar while it rains. I want to help... if only I had killed the demon when I first met it. Inosuke wouldn't be dying right now, instead he would be as loud as he always is. He would want to go fight more and he would pester me about it. Now he's silent.

I sit with him as the sound of beating rain echoes through the forest.

" I'm sorry Inosuke," I whisper.

I can feel his heartbeat getting fainter. He's so young and he has so much to see, yet he's laying here dying on a mountain no one cares about.

I can hear footsteps rushing about. Human scent overpowers the demon's stench now that it's dead. What if they can help Inosuke? I stand up abruptly and bend down to pick up Inosuke. I carefully take him into my arms and then sprint towards where the human smell is the strongest.

" I can hear something coming!" a voice says urgently.

I quicken my pace and try my best to catch up, wind caressing my face. I burst through a bush and halt when I spot two humans, wearing uniforms relatively the same as my friends. Taking a step forward, I lower my head and present them with the injured Inosuke.

They turn around, eyes widening in fear.

" Help," I say softly, trying not to sound urgent or threatening.

One takes a step back.

" W-what are you?" he asks.

" Doesn't matter. Please help him," I answer, " he's lost a lot of blood."

The girl does the opposite of what the man did, placing a hand on Inosuke's wrist. She seems reluctant to get any closer, which I can understand given my current state.

" You're hurt as well," she remarks, eyes taking a peek at my wounds.

" I don't matter. Save him."

All I want is for Inosuke to be saved, regardless if that means me bleeding a little while longer. The girl nods as the man steps forward, grabbing Inosuke's feet. The women gently lifts his head out of my arms.

" You should leave. If a Hashira were to see you, you'd be killed," the women advises.

I nod. I start to walk up the mountain.

" Thanks," I say before taking off once again.

I spent the night on the other side of the mountain to eliminate the chances of a demon slayer finding me. I really hope everyone is alright though, even Zenitsu. The morning sun is calming and bright. It's like this mountain was only ever peaceful as the putrid scent of demons has been eradicated. Now that I've given them a few hours, I'm wondering if I can track the humans and follow them to where they took my friends. After all, this uneasy feeling isn't subsiding. I put a hand up to my face and sure enough, that wicked mouth is still there. Will I be able to return to looking human?

I finally found out what happened to my village and a little about my family. It seems I have a tragic past, like most of the other people I've met. There's this nagging feeling that I can't get rid of either. Who exactly was my father? He had the ability to manipulate the atoms in someone's blood, so how strong was he exactly? Is there a possibility of him being one of the twelve kizuki?

I push these thought to the back of my mind so I can focus on the task at hand. I can pick up a very faint scent, as it had rained most of the night. I follow it for a while until I make it onto a road. The trail swerves along this path, so I pursue it. My legs are sore and my stomach is still sore. I applied pressure to the wound, however it bled for a while. Which leads me to believe that I can't actually bleed out.

My feet are heavy as I make the slow journey. Eventually, after an hour or so, I arrive outside a mansion. The scent is strong here, therefore, this must be the right place. I frantically look for familiar faces, but only three catch my eye. Tanjiro, Nezuko, and that man that stabbed me. Tanjiro is being held down by some guy with a worm and Nezuko is in front of a man with short, white  hair. He's holding out his arm, blood dripping off of it. Nezuko sweats profusely, refusing the blood. She turns her head away in disgust as Tanjiro sighs in relief. I can't see the man's face, but I can tell he's angry. His shoulders are tense as he wraps a hand around his sword.

" This doesn't mean a thing! She's a demon! We can't make any acceptions!" he yells, preparing to swing.

" Sanemi, don't!" a girl says.

The man ignores him as he swings at the girl. Before he had even started this motion, I had already begun moving. I can't let his man kill her! I wrap my hand around her waist and raise my other one up to neck level. Just as I had done before while fighting the spider demon, I harden my skin. The metal makes a clanking noise as it hits my forearm, sending us crashing into the walls of the mansion.

I just walked into hostile territory and made it a known fact that I'm here. This is bad. The wood crumbles around my back as we land inside the house. My arm bleeds, but the cut isn't very deep. I don't think this man used a breathing technique. Everyone goes silent, looks of shock crossing their faces, as I stand up.

" Aku?" Tanjiro asks, confused.

I nod and his eyes widen as well.

" It's a demon!" a girl with pink hair shouts.

" No, he doesn't smell like one," the girl with purple in her hair replies.

" It doesn't matter what it is we need to kill it!" a man with orange hair shouts, smiling.

" Hold on," the guy with the half and half kimono says.

" Kill it flamboyantly!" a tall man states.

Flamboyantly? What the hell?

" How did he get here without us noticing?" a short boy asks.

A man with straight black hair and blinded eyes approaches me without hesitation. 

" Don't go near him! We don't know what he is!" the pink haired girl shouts.

" That's enough!" the blind man yells as he takes my hand.

I stare at him, bewildered.

" He is no demon. Nor is he human. This is a peculiar situation, therefore it must be handle with caution. No one is to hurt Nezuko or this creature," he states.

This man seems weaker than all of the others, but he orders them around.

" B-"

" Our master has stated what we should do. Don't argue it Sanemi," the half and half shushes the man with white hair.

" What's your name young one?" the man in front of me asks.

I look at Tanjiro who looks back at me with the same face.

" I don't know. Tanjiro and Nezuko named me Aku though. Before you ask, no I haven't hurt a human that was innocent."

" Interesting..." he trails off.

" It's true. At the mountain, I stabbed him with my katana. He did not try to counter attack or anything," half and half declares.

"Shinobu, I'd like you to run tests on this one."

And with that, the girl with purple in her hair steps forward, garbing my arm. She leads me away and we walk for a while.

" Just so you know, I won't hesitate to kill you. You are not an ally, nor do you have any trust," she grits her teeth.

" That was made clear."

" I am curious though. As to what you are and everything. Just know, if you try anything, I will kill you."

ARC: sorry this one is rushed but i don't know if i'll be able to update on the weekdays this week. Again, I apologize the chapter's kinda all over the place </3