Chapter 36

We walk into the forest, leaving the Butterfly Mansion behind. I smile slightly, relishing Tanjiro's company without having the other two around. It's been so long since things have been this calm, it's refreshing.

However, I'm debating whether or not I should tell him about my food situation.

" Tanjiro?" I ask, putting the mask on.

" Yes?"

" Do...you know about what I have to eat already?" I say hesitantly.

" I do. Shinobu told me. Rei also mentioned you cannibalizing on your mission together," he explains.

" Oh, alright. Are you...okay with it?" I question him.

" I mean, I'd rather not see it happen, but I'm not disgusted by it or anything. You're killing beings that kill humans, besides, you kinda need it."

" I suppose...Anyways, how's your training going? Learn anything new?"

" Oh! I've been training to up how many times I can use Hinokami Kagura! I was also asking Shinobu if she knew anything about Sun Breathing, which she didn't unfortunately. How about you?"

" Just a lot of strength and agility training. Also Shinobu was training me personally for swordsmanship. I can tell you that she's a tough instructor," I laugh sarcastically.

" Really? I thought she'd be super patient and kind."

" Maybe for others, but I think she still hates me."

" Maybe, but does that bother you anymore?"

I think back to how when I first met her I was completely different. I had wanted her to like me, to rely on me. Now, I see that I don't need everyone to like me because that won't happen. Rengoku didn't like me either, but that guy with the long hair didn't seem to be bothered. As long as the people I care about don't hate me, I couldn't care less about what other people think.

" No. I have the people I care about, what they think matters more than anyone else."

" Well, if it's worth anything, I do think you're pretty cool."

I smile gratefully and we continue to walk in silence for an hour or so. It's comforting to know that he doesn't find my cannibalism disgusting, even though he totally should. I mean, demons were once human and they eat humans, so I'm technically doing the same by eating the demons.

" So where's the mission?" I ask, deciding to speak up.

" In a small village. There have been reports of children going missing, so the corps assumed that the cause was a demon. The village is east from the Butterfly Mansion, so we should pass it if we just keep walking this way."

" A demon stealing children? Isn't that a bit...much?"

" It's disgusting. The demon is robbing children from their families and taking away their lives!" he responds forcefully.

" So we get rid of it and make sure that it doesn't happen again," I reply,

" Well, the problem is it doesn't just happen in this village. These kinds of things happen everywhere."

I nod, staring straight ahead again. I know how it feels to be robbed of a childhood and a family. Not to mention my human life was also taken from me. I never got a chance to just be a normal boy. I wouldn't wish that upon everyone, not even Shinobu.

Another hour passes before I start to see the rooftops of houses. I point ahead and Tanjiro follows my directions.

" What is it?" he asks.