Chapter 29

I'm pushed back with such force that I crash through a few buildings and they crumple to the ground. Hitting the ground hard on my back, I rotate my legs above my head and stop my momentum with my hands by digging into the ground.

" Aku!" Rei gasps.

My back is sore.

" H-hey!" Akikiro exclaims.

I don't acknowledge them as I stand up slowly. That demon was still alive? I was sure I killed it though, I even smelt his blood! I look down at my arm and see a wide cut where the blade should have gone back into place. Blood drips down my forearm as I stare in shock. It was my blood?

" We're all finished, are you?" Rei asks, putting her katana away.

I shake my head, but shoo her away with my hand.

" We can help then!"

" No. I don't want your help," I spit.

" W-what?" she asks in shock.

" I don't need your help!"

At this moment, the demon grows the spikes once again and I dodge them, but this time not by leaping into the air.

" I told you Aku! Humans can't win against a demon!" he shouts crazily.

" Get back!" I hiss to the two.

They do as their told.

" You are but a human! You could never beat me! You are too weak!"

He keeps calling me a human... it's starting to cause a rise of bitterness.

" But I'm not a human! Right? Surely you should know that by now! No matter how much I want to be, I will never be one again! I answer loudly.

Rushing at the demon, I engage him in a fist to fist fight. It's a pretty even match, so long as I don't give him time to activate his blood demon art.

" I have to be strong enough!" I shout, swinging my leg at his stomach after fainting left.

My foot hits his ribs and I hear a crack. Rage fuels my attacks.

" I have to be the person people can turn to when they need help!"

I'm not sure who I'm talking to right now, but by her tenseness, Rei seems to know.

The demon swings at me with gravity twisting around his arm. I block it with my forearm and a gust of wind hits my body.

" I need to be strong to protect those I care about!"

Punch after punch, block after block. It's repetitive. We each land good hits, we each get hurt. The force of the hits are causing dust to thicken in the air. Using earth, he pushes me back to disengage our fist to fist combat. He then hurtles two crescent shaped forms at me and I flip between the small gap.

Landing, I catch my breath for a moment.

" If I can't be strong."

I grab the demons face after activating the first form again and smash it into the ground, same as he did to me. The ricochet of him moving the gravity around his body shoots me into the air.

Creating my blades and using the third form, I sweep away the triangles and twist midair to avoid the gravity that's shot at me. The attack hits the ground and slices it open, causing the demon to back up for a split second.

" Then what am I supposed to be?" I ask, nose burning, " I can't accept help. I don't want to be weak!"

I land on the ground and stumble. A scent pierces the air and I raise my blade. My actions being too late, I get hit by the attack, sending me backwards.