Chapter 55

"Kin..." I hear my sister's voice, " you have to wake up..."

" It's so warm though, just a few more minutes," I respond.

" No. You haven't finished your job yet Kin. You have to save them..."

Her voice sounds distant, as if it isn't really there.

" They need you..."

It fades in and out.

" Aku, your friends need you," her voice is more stern this time.

Why did she call me that? Confused, I open my eyes to see her standing over me. Her face is soft and her eyes are puffy.

" It isn't your time yet Kin, you have to finish your fight..."

She sounds sweet...

I reach a hand up to her face and caress it, tears forming in my eyes. I have no clue what she's talking about...does she want me to leave? My arm gets heavy and drops to the ground.

" I'm tired..." I whisper, trailing off.

" I know," her voice cracks, " but just one more fight. Then you can put away your swords for eternity."

Just one more fight?

I blink once, then twice. The scenery changes. The sounds of a battle are faded, yet I vaguely remember where I am. My chest is soaked and it feels like I'm laying in a massive puddle. I sit up slowly, causing a shock of pain to ripple through my body.

Right, I was stabbed...with the Wind Hashira's sword while fighting Upper Moon One...

That means it's most likely over for me. This searing pain is confirmation of my beliefs. I'll never get to see the day that Tanjiro lives a sorrow free life, I'll never see Nezuko become a human again...however, I can still help them by killing the Upper Moon One...I can still contribute to the better world I had once imagined for my family.

I stand up slowly on shaky legs, taking wavering breaths. My brain pounds in my skull and I squint my eyes, observing the battle.

The demon slayers are losing. They should conserve their strength for the battle with the Demon Lord...

I take a few unbalanced steps towards them before planting my feet into the ground. Putting all my strength in my legs, I shoot forwards. I can feel the ground breaking underneath my force. I grab the Mist Hashira from under the arms and drag him away, doing the same with the others. I stand in front of them, fists clenched at my sides as blood drips down my arms.

" Save your strength for the Demon Lord."

I pick up the Wind Hashira's sword, the handle burning into my palm.

" It would be better if you weren't caught in the crossfire," I whisper to my allies with a bittersweet smile.

They gape at me, eyes wide in shock. I turn back to the demon. There's only one way I can win this and I'm pretty sure I've already lost enough blood for it.

Blood Breathing, Final Form: The rage of a blood demon.

Energy bursts through my veins as I'm engulfed by a storm of blood. The katana I'm holding turns a dark red and I angle it at the demon. His eyes are wide in surprise, but he seems rather calm. I'm oddly at peace as well.

" You can use long-ranged attacks, don't worry if you hit me," I say to the Hashira.

Then, with another burst of speed, I rush forwards before the Upper Moon could release his attack. A massive gust of wind follows the deflection of the sword I'm holding. I spin and kick the demon in his ribs with my left foot. Bullets whiz past my ear and embed themselves into the demon, causing roots to grow. Taking advantage of this, I leap into the air.