Chapter 50

" How's Tanjiro?" I ask Rei as she walks in my room.

Shinobu had forced me to stay in here while she was away.

" He's doing alright. How are you?" she replies.

" Perfectly fine, as always. How were your missions?"

" Not that bad actually. The only injury I got was a concussion."

" Impressive."

" Not as impressive as you potentially becoming a Hashira," she busies herself with stuff around the room.

" W-what?!" I ask, shocked.

" You technically killed an Upper Moon and a Lower moon. Though you never did the final selection," she states.

I mean, with that logic Tanjiro could also be one.

" So I could be a Hashira..." I trail off.

" You should ask to do the Final Selection since you've already had some training. But some Slayers may think you're a demon if you don't show up with a nichirin sword."

" I can't hold one of those though."

" I'm sure you'd think of a solution," she smiles, " after all you are pretty smart."

I blink slowly.

Do I even want to be a Hashira? Do I even deserve it? No, I think remaining separate from the Corps would be the best decision for me.

" True. I'm smart enough to know that the other Hashira will disagree. I don't have as much experience," I stand up, ushering Rei out the door.

" Come on! You've been in plenty of fights with demons. You're super strong and I heard how you defended the Love Hashira!" she whines.

" I didn't defend her I only got in the demon's way."

" You should stop doing that you know," she looks back, a look of complete seriousness on her face.

It makes me freeze.

" Don't put your body on the line. It could cause issues in the future."

" Whatever, it'll regenerate."

" That kind of behavior will get you killed," she glares at me.

" What did he do?" Shinobu's voice echoes down the hallway.

I peak my head out the door to see her walking towards us. She's smiling, as always.

" Oh nothing! I was just joking around!" Rei grins, breaking eye contact.

She then skips away as if nothing ever happened.

" I'm guessing Rei told you then..." Shinobu tilts her head.

" About the Hashira thing? Yeah. But even if the others agreed that it'd be possible, I don't think that it's a good idea. I don't deserve it."

" The other Pillars didn't agree. The Water and Love Pillar both thought that it was a good idea though. I said the same thing you did."

" Perfectly fine with me," I smile, " can I leave now?"

She nods and I push past her. I had been listening to the commotion going on outside so I know exactly where Tanjiro is and what bed he's staying in. I roughly push open the door. Tanjiro's holding a new sword and he looks like he's recovering well.

" How're you?" I ask, standing in the doorway.

" Feeling great! You?" he responds.

" All good here. What about Nezuko?"