Chapter 1- A Rat.

_____________

I go past the newspaper stand heading towards the supermarket walking swiftly through the amount of Friday shoppers.

"Another person arrested for faking the Avengers soulmate marks huh?" I hear someone say while reading one of the papers on the newspaper stand.

Of course that made the headline.

"Yeah last time it was that girl who worked closely at the tower right? The assistant or something?" I hear someone else say "Hm well don't forget about that guy on security who last year tried convincing them as well. It's stupid they get all these tattoos done even though it's obvious when the Avengers don't feel the bond and the marks don't glow"

I let out a little pained huff when a few of the marks on my skin begin to burn at the mention of soul marks. 

14 marks I have been gifted.

14 soulmates.  

The idea of meeting any of my soulmates was a scary one but the thought of finding someone I can have a true deep connection with and trust completely sounded like a dream.

One that seemed so far yet I couldn't wait for the day one of my soulmate marks will burn.

Even if I just meet one of my soulmates I will be grateful. 

Over the last decade, soulmate marks have been decreasing so not everyone has them but those who do tend to have more than one or two soulmates.

Even if you have marks it does not mean you will meet your soulmate some people never find them.

"Don't mess this up" my lovely brother grumbles through the earpiece as I walk to the doors now outside the supermarket.

I just roll my eyes as I open up the shop doors walking in before him but I quickly spot someone coming at me at the same speed "oh! I am so sorry!" I say quickly grabbing a diamond necklace from a lady who is too busy glaring down at her phone.

The lady then looks up and sneers at me "watch where you are going rat!" she snaps and I nod apologetically passing the necklace back to my brother who walks in behind me pretending not to know me.

Who shat in her cornflakes? I wonder as she begins going on a rant to me about how I should look where I was going and how I am the scum of the earth. 

Nothing I haven't heard before. 

I look around spotting the man we have been looking for who was standing close by picking up some apples at the fruit section, right in the front of the shop.

How easy.

I leave the scene at the door, the woman ends up storming out after seeing I wasn't listening to her. I pick up a basket and begin to play the role of a normal shopper.

I walk past a few things before heading over to the fruit section of the shop which brightened up the aisle.

"Yes Mr Rumlow I will be there soon sir" the man says hanging up on the call not long after. 

"God damn it!" he says walking straight into me "today is not my day" I grumble holding over my nose "hey! watch it- oh are you okay?" the guy asks looking me up and down quickly something flickering in his eyes as I nod giving my best doe eyes.

"I am s-sorry I am not having the best day" I admit watching as my brother starts to come out of nowhere behind the man walking over to his bag on the trolley "hey it's okay it has been one of those days for me as well... I am sorry for shouting is your nose okay?" he asks gently touching my hand then removing it.