Chapter 33- A Violent Witch Reunion

___________________

"I don't know where we will go from here" I admit gripping onto the bouquet stems "have you spoken to Tony yet?"

"No doll" he says with pain his voice "only Steve and Nat are speaking to me at the moment" he states painfully and I sigh sadly.

"I feel like I ruined everything-"

"Don't" he pleads grabbing my face seeing me tear up "you have ruined nothing you couldn't even if you tried. Lies broke us but ill fix it" he swears wiping my tears before standing and I look up at him a silver gleam catching my attention and my hands move on their own a habit of comfort whenever he is near.

"These are nice" I whisper the familiarity causing a ripple of hope to dance through me as I play with the two dog tags and he sadly smiles "nice huh?" he asks and I smile looking back up when he steps back his hands going behind his neck making my eyes widen "what are you doing?" I ask when he unclips his necklace.

"I got these when I was drafted in 1943" he explains looking over them in his palm "I was drafted in Brooklyn and I gave one of them to Steve. The army gave you two one to identify your body if you die and the other to place in your coffin but I wanted Steve to be the one to place it in my coffin so I left it behind" he says the wind carrying his words through the air as they fly around us in a sorrow almost stifling as my heart hurt at the idea of him dying.

"When he joined the army he gave the other back to me...it was his way of saying we would make it. We always dreamed of settling down together after the wall finally telling the world to stuff their beliefs against our love" he says a heartbreaking smile on his face before gripping them in his palm.

"But that wasn't to be the end of our story.. in fact the near of the war was just the beginning of the battle for us"

"Bucky" I say sadly only knowing so little about what he went through but it was enough that I wouldn't wish it upon my worse enemy.

Well, none but Seth anyway.

"I don't know why but the other part of me clung to the dog tags. He never let Hydra take them from me I think deep down the other half of me wanted to keep part of me with him" he explains.

"I think he wanted to have a way to hold onto the light so he didn't descend into darkness completely. I knew he used to be scared of the shadows eating him alive it was like he was in battle with himself" he admits his blue gaze finally meeting mine "but now I want you to have them" he says making my eyes widen.

"Bucky no-"

"They mean everything to me I want you to wear them" he says but I shake my head.

"Bucky they mean so much to you I can't accept them I-"

He cuts me off swiftly placing them around me anyway and doing the clasp over my hair looking hesitant to touch me to pull my hair from underneath the chain.

"Bucky-"

"I know from here things won't be easy between us but when you feel like you can fully trust me... When you feel like you can accept me in your heart fully without any pain or fear then I want you to give them back to me so I know" he says and I tear up "but what if-"

"If you can never accept me then that's okay the necklace is my promise to you that I will try everything to make it happen one day" he says with the same sad smile as before.

My hand reaches for the dog tags both cold against the tip of my fingers "but what if I'm not worthy of them?" I ask shakily "what if you change your mind about me despite the mark-" I whisper but he cuts me off when his warm hand covers my own over the tags.