50.

A few weeks ago...

"No?" Fred was frozen on his one knee, the ring box still outstretched in his hand.

"Yes, no," Mya looked at him like he was crazy, the rain still falling down all around them. "Fred we can't get married! Are you insane?!"

"A little bit, yeah," Fred admitted. "But so are you!"

Mya couldn't take this, she couldn't handle this right now. This was just supposed to be a fun date night, something to distract her mind from all the shit going on. She could not understand where the hell his mind was at that he would think she wanted to get married.

"Please, stand up," Mya's breath felt shallow. "This... this- Fred, please just stop!"

"Why?" Fred stood up, towering over her. "Mya, I love you, you love me. We don't know what will happen in this war-"

"I do!" Mya cried. "I know what happens, Fred! I can't marry you when I know what's..."

"When you know what?" Fred's eyes shifted between her's. "Mya-"

"No, just stop!" Mya turned around quickly, whipping under her eyes as she walked away.

And this is where the fun had to end. Because she couldn't marry Fred. She couldn't put herself through the pain of losing him. To have to watch him die of a painful death...

"Mya!" But Fred wasn't one to just give up so easily, not with everything they had faced together. He ran after her, his shoe's slapping at the water puddles. He took hold of her arm, pulling her back around to face him. "You can't just say that and run away! Mya, I deserve an explanation."

"Trust me, Fred, you don't want to know," She swiped her fingers under her eyes. "Please, I'm begging you, let's just forget about all this."

"No," Fred pressed on. "No, Mya I'm not just going to forget about this. I love you, you've become my whole world. Every day, I wake up thinking about you. Every night, I just want to hold you in my arms while you fall asleep. I want to live the rest of my life with you, and I know you do too."

"That's just it! You're going to die next year! There is no future between us because there is no you in the future!" Mya snapped in frustration. And as quickly as she said it, she wanted to take it back.

Present-day

Mya had never been more anxious in her life, not even why she was lying half dead in the hospital. No, she wished to be back in that time. How simple it was, how easy it was. That would be better than the sinking anxious pit in her stomach. The only thing she wanted there actually.