Chapter 2 | The Child (Part 2)

Mando wakes to the sound of giggling. He turns his head to see Cordelia sitting with the Child on her lap. He watches as she draws something in the sand with a stick. When she finishes, the Child giggles loudly, making her giggle too. He sits up and turns to his left and sees that the sandcrawler is gone. He sighs, catching Cordelia's attention.

"You're awake!" She says, smiling. The Child coos, reaching towards him. 

"My blaster. You took it." He says. She rolls her eyes and points to the ground next to him. He replaces it and gets to his feet. Cordelia puts the Child back into his pram as Mando walks towards them. He looks down and spots a drawing of the Child and of his helmet in the sand next to where they were sitting. He smiles under his helmet as he walks past the drawings. The group walk in silence back to what's left of his ship.

When they get there, Mando checks over his ship while Cordelia waits outside with the Child. The engine sputters when he tries to start the ship and she frowns. She walks into the ship carrying the Child right as Mando sighs heavily.

"I'm sorry." She says. He shakes his head. 

"Come on." He says, walking past her out of the ship. Cordelia sets the Child in his pram before following.

They walk for the rest of the day, finally reaching a hut and farm at nightfall. Cordelia spots an Ugnaught working as they approach.

"I thought you were dead." He says from above them. He turns to face them. Cordelia lets the Child out as the Ugnaught climbs down. 

"Hello. I'm Cordelia." She says, holding her hand out. The Ugnaught shakes it.

"Kuiil." He says. She smiles.

"It's nice to meet you, Kuiil." She says. The Child coos excitedly. The adults watch as he chases a frog around, cooing as he does. Kuiil wipes his hand.

"This is what was causing all the fuss?" He asks, gesturing to him, then to Cordelia.

"I think it's a child." Mando says, gesturing towards the Child with his head. Cordelia rolls her eyes. "No idea why they want her." He says. She glares at him as she sits on the ground.

"You could be nicer about it." She says. He turns to Kuiil.

"My ship has been destroyed. I'm trapped here." He says. Cordelia grabs a nearby stick and starts drawing the Razor Crest in the sand.

"Stripped. Not destroyed. The Jawas steal. They don't destroy." Kuiil responds.

"Stolen or destroyed, makes no difference to me. They're protected by their crawling fortress. There's no way to recover the parts." He says. Cordelia chuckles.

"Are you always so pessimistic?" She asks. His helmet turns towards her and she knows he's glaring at her. She draws a sad face in the sand, draws an arrow to it and labels it 'Mando'. 

"You can trade." Kuiil states.

"With Jawas? Are you out of your mind?" He replies.

"I will take you to them. I have spoken." He says before walking away. The Child coos loudly, drawing the threes attention.

"Hey! Spit that out." Mando and Cordelia say at the same time. The Child ignores them and swallows the frog, making Cordelia shudder.

"Gross." She says. The Child giggles, then burps. Cordelia tends to the Child while Mando and Kuiil set up their transport. 

Kuiil mounts the Blurrg, while Mando and Cordelia sit next to each other on the cart. They get moving and it soon starts to rain. Cordelia wraps her arms around herself as the rain gets heavier, beginning to soak her clothes and hair.