Chapter 22 | Guns for Hire (Part 4)

"Let me do the talking in there." Bo says as they near the bar.

"Why is that?" Din asks.

"Because I wanna get the information fast and get to the fleet." She answers.

"So do we. What's your point?" He replies.

"You kicking droids is really not helpful." She tells him.

"I figured out which one was malfunctioning, didn't I?" He says.

"Din, you know what she means." Cordelia scolds, pinching his neck.

"You did it your way, now let me do it mine, okay?" Bo asks as they enter the alley. "This is the address." She adds. They stop for a moment so Din can set his wife on the ground. He slips his hand into hers as they approach the door, wanting to keep her close. They enter and everything inside quiets, from the music to droids talking to each other.

"I don't think they get many of our kind here." Din says as they walk down the steps and towards the bar.

"Can I help you?" The bartender droid asks.

"That depends. Is this The Resistor?" Bo asks him.

"This is." He answers. Din tosses the spark bad onto the bar.

"That spark pad was found on a rogue battle droid." She says.

"We give out lots of spark pads." He replies, setting a container of them on the bar. "What are you getting at?"

"There has been a string of malfunctions that all point to this oil can." Bo answers.

"You can check my registry. We are in full compliance with Planetary Hierarchial-" He says, interrupted by Din pointing a sparking tool at him.

"If you don't start answering questions, I'll yank your memory circuit and dissect it back at the lab." He threats.

"Are you kidding me?!" Cordelia exclaims, pushing his hand down.

"Nobody leaves." He orders, ignoring her as a droid heads for the exit.

"A word?" Bo asks, looking at him.

"Stay where I can see you." He tells the bartender.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Cordelia asks, smacking his arm.

"We're wasting time. You can't reason with droids." He answers. She sighs and pinches the bridge of her nose.

"Their behavior is programmed. All they do is reason." Bo says.

"They're also programmed not to harm organics. How's that going?" He argues. Cordelia groans quietly, closing her eyes and massaging her temples.

"Look, you are not helping. Just because the malfunctioning droids happen to visit here doesn't mean that this one is in on it." She sighs.

"I want to help." The bartender tells them.

"You want me to pull your hearing sensors too?" Din threatens, facing the droid.

"That's enough! Go wait by the door if you can't behave yourself. I know you have a history with droids, but not all of them are bad. Until you realize this, keep your mouth shut." Cordelia snaps, glaring at him. He looks at Bo for support, but she points over her shoulder at the door.

"We are worried that if these horrible incidents continue, we will be..." The bartender says once Din has leaned against the wall by the stairs.

"You'll be what?" He calls. Cordelia turns and sends him a glare so terrifying he lowers his head and stares at his boots.