Chapter 19 | The Convert

Din wakes from his short nap, turning his head where it rests on Cordelia's lap, spotting Grogu and Pandora sitting next to him. He sits up and moves next to Cordelia, wrapping his arm around her.

"I am redeemed." He says.

"I witnessed it. As did Cordelia. You bathed in the Living Waters. You are Mandalorian again." Bo says. She stands. "Can we leave now?"

Din grabs Pandora and stands, Cordelia doing the same with Grogu. She sets Grogu back in the pram and turns to watch her husband. He carefully holds Pandora on his hip, crouching down to collect some water.

Pandora squeals, trying to reach the water, waving her hands around. Din chuckles and puts the vial of water away, sitting on the steps and setting Pandora on his lap. He removes her tiny boots and rolls her pants above her knees before lifting her under her armpits, keeping hold of her as he opens his legs. He stands her up between them, the water reaching her knees. She holds onto his pants as she moves, the water rippling around her.

Cordelia chuckles, grabbing Grogu and moving to sit next to him. Grogu giggles as Pandora squeals happily, kicking her feet in the water. He moves into the space between his parents, staying one step above the water and leaning over to splash the water around with his hands.

Din and Cordelia let them play for a few minutes, making sure they don't get each other too wet as they splash, knowing they still have to get back to the ship in these clothes.

"Can I ask you something?" Bo asks as Din lifts Pandora after rolling her pants down and putting her shoes back on. Cordelia lifts Grogu, wiping his wet hands on her shirt.

"What is it?" He replies.

"You see anything down there?" She asks as he places his daughter inside the pram. Cordelia sets Grogu inside with his sister and they giggle at each other.

"I saw the chasm passing me as I fell. I didn't realize it was so deep." He answers. He grabs his weapons, leaving his cape with the children. Cordelia tucks it around them, giving them an extra layer to keep them warm.

"It wasn't. The bombings from the Purge must have triggered seismic activities." She replies, moving towards the exit. "Did you see anything alive?"

"Alive? Like what?" Cordelia asks, confused at her question.

"Nothing. Let's get out of here." She says. 

Din grabs Cordelia's hand and they walk out, the pram following close behind them. Bo stays for a moment longer, staring at the water where she saw the Mythosaur.

***

"Bring us to our ship and we'll be on our way. You will forever have my gratitude." Din says as Bo flies her ship. Grogu sits in the pram next to him, Pandora strapped to his chest. Cordelia sits in the other seat, fixing a new hole in Din's cape from the creature that captured him.

"I would invite you in for a feast, but I'm guessing that helmet isn't coming off again." She replies.

"This is the Way." He tells her.

"This is the Way." She repeats. Grogu begins to babble, trying to repeat them, and Pandora joins him. Din looks to Cordelia, and she laughs. The ship lurches as it's hit, making Grogu and Pandora quiet.

"We took a hit." Din says, one hand cradling Pandora, the other fiddling with the controls in front of him.

"Something's coming up on us fast. It looks like a squadron of TIE interceptors." Bo tells them.

"How close are we to Kalevala?" He asks, setting Pandora in the pram with Grogu.

"Not far." She replies.