Chapter 7 | In the Name of Honor (Part 3)

The group stands as one, firing at the enemy as Drash and Jo prepare on the roof. They quickly take out the Pykes as Drash distracts the droid. It fires at their roof and they duck before emerging again in sync.

Suddenly, a rancor bursts through the building next to them, Boba riding the creature. It backhands the droid, sending it flying into the building behind it. The shield crackles as the building collapses on top of it. The rancor growls at the fallen building, and the group peeks out of the windows.

The droid breaks out of the debris and fires, hitting the rancor's shoulder. It growls and swipes at the droid, knocking it down. It grabs it and throws it into a nearby building. They circle each other until the rancor grabs the droid's arms, preventing it from firing. It raises two legs and scratches the rancor before firing at its chest as it stumbles backwards.

The rancor gets back up and the droid rears back again. The creature grabs the droid's legs and throws it, ripping off one of the arms. The droid gets back up and fires, hitting the arm the rancor holds, blowing it up. The rancor growls and grabs the droid around the middle, stabbing into its photoreceptor. It lifts the droid, grabbing its leg as it rears back to strike and ripping it off.

The rancor slams the droid to the ground and the group cheers. It rips off the droid's final blaster and plunges it into the center of the droid, destroying it. Cordelia sighs in relief, slumping against the wall, exhausted.

"Keep 'em on their heels. They're on the run." Din yells to the group. She watches as the group rushes out of cover, chasing after the Pykes. She chuckles and leaves through the back of the building, climbing up to join Jo and Drash.

"You two all right?" She asks. They both nod, grinning as they snipe the fleeing Pykes. "Go. I know you want to." She says. The two climb down and chase after the Pykes, joining their friends.

She hears the rancor roar again and turns, spotting Cad Bane standing in front of the beast and Boba. It lunges towards him, but he fires his flamethrower, making it rear back and fling Boba out of the saddle.

Bane shoots fire at the rancor again and it turns away, roaring as it climbs over the building next to it and moving away. Boba grabs his blaster and stands, facing Bane.

"Clear out and take your hoodlum gang with you." He says.

"I've known you a long time, Boba. One thing I can't figure. What's your angle?" Bane replies.

"This is my city. These are my people. I will not abandon them." He tells the mercenary.

"Like the Tuskens." He mocks.

"Don't toy with me. I'm not a little boy any longer, and you are an old man." Boba threatens.

"I'm still faster than you." He replies.

"That may be, but I have armor." He says.

"Let's find out." Bane tells him, pushing the tail of his coat back to reveal his blaster sitting in its holster. 

They ready themselves before drawing their weapons. Bane fires first, striking Boba in his shoulder. He flies onto his back with a groan.

"Now's about the time you jet off to your bacta tank." He mocks.

"This is my city!" Boba replies, kneeling and firing his flamethrower. Bane dodges and fires his blaster, hitting Boba in the chest and knocking him back onto the ground.

"You gave it a shot. You tried to go straight. But you've got your father's blood pumping through your veins. You're a killer." He says as he approaches. He kicks Boba onto his back and steps on his hand, preventing him from grabbing his blaster. "This isn't the first time I beat you out on a job." Bane kneels, jabbing his blaster into Boba's other arm. Cordelia glares at him, wanting nothing more than to shoot him now, but knowing Boba must do this on his own. "There's no shame in it." He says, ripping Boba's helmet off before he stands. "Consider this my final lesson. Look out for yourself. Anything else is weakness." 

Bane aims his blaster at Boba's head, and fires. Boba quickly turns to the side, deflecting the bolt and knocking the blaster from his hand. He slams the blunt end of his spear into Bane's gut then yanks on his ankle midair, knocking him onto his back. Boba stands over Bane, glaring down at him.

"I knew you were a killer." Bane says. He fires his flamethrower, but Boba knocks his hand away before plunging the spear into his chest. Cordelia lets out a relieved sigh and moves to climb down. She gives Boba a moment before approaching. 

"This is for Cobb." She says before kicking Bane's body. She looks at Boba and he nods. "Are you okay?" She asks.

"Yes. We've got bigger problems." He says, gesturing behind her. She turns, spotting the rancor climbing a building in the distance. She groans and starts walking in that direction, wishing she could take a nap instead.

***

"Great. All that walking for nothing." Cordelia groans when she finally reaches the area the rancor had destroyed, spotting it laying in the middle of the street. She throws herself into the nearest chair with a sigh, leaning back and closing her eyes. 

A shadow crosses her vision before she hears someone sit in the chair next to her. A soft growl makes her open her eyes and smile at the Wookiee.

"I will, I promise. I just need a medpac." She tells him. He growls again and tosses one onto the table. She chuckles and opens it, grabbing what she needs. She gets to work, carefully tending to his wounds as they exchange stories, having found that Chewie feels better if she keeps his mind off his wounds. She feels something climb onto her lap and glances down. "Not now, Grogu. I'm almost done." She says. 

Cordelia continues working for a moment before freezing. She slowly looks down and spots Grogu, one of his little hands reaching up for her as the other rests on her stomach. She tosses her tools on the table and scoops him into her arms, holding him tight as she cries. Krrsantan growls softly and pats her head before getting up and giving them some privacy.

"Oh, Grogu. I've missed you so much." She whispers, pulling away to look at him. He coos, grabbing her face. She smiles and kisses the top of his head before cradling him in her arms and standing. She looks around and spots Din a few feet away watching them. 

Din opens his arms, and she smiles, rushing over and stepping into them. He holds her tight, resting one of his hands on Grogu's back. He coos, looking between his parents happily.

***

Cordelia sits in her seat with Grogu in her lap, trying her hardest not to vomit from the last few times Din had entertained their son. Grogu moves forward and taps against the glass with his metal ball.

"No." Din says. He taps again. "Uh-uh." He taps again. "No." He says more firmly. He taps quicker and harder this time. "All right. But this is the last time." 

"Last time, Grogu." Cordelia manages, preparing herself as Din hovers his finger over the switch. The ship shoots forward and she groans as Grogu squeals. When the ship returns to normal speed he giggles and curls up against Cordelia's stomach, quickly falling asleep.

Cordelia smiles and rests her hand on his back, closing her own eyes and joining him in sleep. Din continues flying, happy his family is back together again.

Don't worry guys. There will still be one more chapter before our long break until season 3 :)