Chapter 22 | Guns for Hire (Part 5)

"Commissioner, we have some questions for you." Bo says as they enter the room.

"Sorry, I have to check the data farm for anomalies." Helgait answers.

"We know about the Nepenthé. And the nano droids." Cordelia tells him, rolling her eyes.

"They didn't malfunction. You programmed them to disrupt and attack." Bo adds.

"You're coming with us." Din orders. The others in the room turn to stare, shocked. Helgait stands, hovering his hand over the large red button.

"Everyone, freeze!" He demands. "If I trigger this failsafe, it will convert the planet's docile workforce back into battle droids and unleash them upon the unsuspecting citizens of Plazir! Don't make me do it." Cordelia glares at him, her hand slowly moving towards her blaster.

"There's no way out, Commissioner. Give yourself up." Bo tells him.

"Give up? I never give up. I didn't give up to the corrupt Republic, I didn't give up to the Empire, and I won't give up to you." He scoffs.

"You're a Separatist?" She asks.

"Separatist is a pejorative term. I support democracy. Count Dooku was a visionary. He was cut short in his prime by the Jedi enforcer-" He rants, cut off by Cordelia and Bo knocking him on his back with electricity.

"Politics." Bo says as Din looks between the two.

"He was an asshole. I should've shot him." Cordelia adds.

***

"What are you doing with Commissioner Helgait?" Captain Bombardier asks as they approach. Cordelia holds her vibroblade towards him, ready to use it if he tries anything. She already despises him for his plan to use the innocent droids in the city to harm its citizens, and definitely doesn't trust him in the same room as her children.

"We found the cause of your 'malfunctions'." Din answers. 

At the sound of his voice, Pandora starts squealing excitedly from her spot in the pram next to the Duchess. Din chuckles and presses the button on his vambrace to bring it to him. When it stops next to him, he lifts her into his arms, settling her against his chest. She sighs contentedly, clutching tightly onto him. Cordelia smiles at the interaction, knowing she hates being separated from her family just as much as their daughter.

"Is this true?" The Duchess asks as they stop in front of them. 

"I'm afraid it is, M'Lady." He answers. Bombardier shakes his head at the man.

"Despicable." He says.

"If that isn't the Quacta calling the Stifling slimy." He retorts.

"I beg your pardon." Bombardier scoffs.

"This planet is unrecognizable since he arrived." He tells the Duchess.

"I had a feeling you hated me." He sighs.

"I'm disappointed in you, Commissioner. You served my family well. But Captain Bombardier is the love of my life. And I know his heart is true. Sure, he's made some mistakes in the past, but who here among us has not? Is there no room for a little bit of forgiveness in a galaxy so vast?" The Duchess says. Cordelia smiles at the Duchess' kind words about her husband, slipping her free hand into Din's.

"I am sorry to have disappointed you, My Lady. Perhaps someday I can earn such forgiveness from Your Grace." He replies.

"Perhaps. As for now, you must live in exile on the moon of Paraqaat." She announces.