Chapter 5 | The Gunslinger (Part 1)

Cordelia sits in her seat, holding the Child tightly as Din flies around, avoiding the bounty hunter's shots.

"Hand over the child and woman, Mando." The hunter says. He fires and hits the ship, jostling everything. "I might let you live." The Crest is hit again and the Child whimpers, making Cordelia hold him closer to her chest. Another hit, causing alarms to sound.

"Hold on." Din says. Cordelia glares at him.

"What do you think we've been doing?!" She yells at him. She squeezes her eyes shut as Din flies in a loop.

"I can bring you in warm or I can bring you in cold." The bounty hunter says. Din pulls the ship back, causing the hunter to fly past.

"That's my line." Din says before blasting his ship to pieces. Cordelia rolls her eyes.

"Are all bounty hunters this dramatic? Or is it just the men?" She says. Din shakes his head and focuses on the ship, alarms still blaring.

"Losing fuel." He mutters, the engine powering down. The Child giggles and Cordelia smiles down at him. Din gets out of his seat and moves past them, towards the back of the cockpit. He flips a switch and the engine powers back on. He starts flying towards the planet, turning the communications back on.

"This is Mos Eisley Tower. We are tracking you. Head for bay three-five, over." The man says over the radio.

"Copy that. Locked in for three-five. 

Once Din lands the ship, they move into the belly of the ship, Cordelia holding the Child. He had fallen asleep after all the excitement. Din leads her to the bunk, gently taking the Child. He wraps him up before setting him on the bed.

"He'll be okay in there, right?" Cordelia asks as Din closes the door. He nods and they head towards the ramp. 

They head down and Cordelia spots droids approaching to work on the ship. They scream as a laser bolt hits in front of them. She gasps and hits Din's arm as he puts his blaster away.

"Why'd you do that?" She asks.

"Don't like droids." He replies, making her roll her eyes.

"Hey! Hey!" A woman yells as she leaves the office. "You damage one of my droids, you'll pay for it." She says, approaching them.

"Just keep them away from my ship." Din says.

"Yeah? You think that's a good idea, do ya?" She asks, briefly looking over the Crest. "Let's look at your ship." She says, getting closer to it. She bangs on the side and looks closer. "Oof! Look at that." She scans the ship. "Ugh, you got a lot of carbon scorin' building up top. Yeah." She says. She moves even closer to the Crest. "If I didn't know better, I'd think you were in a shootout. Special tool for that one." She says. She sighs and pulls out a tool. "I am gonna have to rotate that." She says. She glances at the two. "You got a fuel leak. Look at that, this is a mess. How did you even land? That's gonna set you back." She returns to them.

"We've got 500 Imperial Credits." He says, holding them in his hand.

"That's all you got?" She asks, taking them. She looks to her droids. "Well, what do you guys think?" They talk back and she looks at the ship. "That should at least cover the hangar." 

"We'll get you your money." He assures.

"Hmm. I've heard that before." She says.

"Just remember..." He says.

"Yeah, no droids. I heard ya. You don't have to say it twice." She says. He turns and starts walking away.

"Sorry about him. No manners no matter how hard I try." Cordelia says. The woman chuckles.

"Delia!" Din calls from the exit.

"Coming!" She calls back. She turns back to the woman. "Cordelia." She holds out her hand.

"Peli." She says, shaking her hand. Cordelia smiles.

"It's nice to meet you." She says. The woman nods and turns to get to work. Cordelia quickly joins Din.

"What took you so long?" He asks as they begin walking through town.

"I was apologizing for your lack of manners." She says. He glances at her.

"I have manners." He says. She laughs.

"Okay. Whatever you tell yourself." She says.

They enter the cantina and approach the droid bartender.

"Hey, droid, we're hunters. We're lookin for some work." Din says. Cordelia elbows him.

"Unfortunately, the Bounty Guild no longer operates from Tatooine." The droid replies.

"We don't want any Guild work." Cordelia tells him.

"I am afraid that does not improve your situation, at least by my calculation." The droid says. 

"There's absolutely no work for us?" She asks.

"Think again, gorgeous." A voice behind them says. They turn and see a man sitting with his legs propped up on the table. "If you're looking for work, have a seat, my friends." He waves to the seats across from him. "Name's Toro, Toro Calican." He says. They still don't move. "Come on, relax." 

Din takes one last look at the droid before pushing off the bar. He places his hand on Cordelia's back, leading her to the chairs across from Toro. He removes his feet from the table and places a bounty puck on the table as they sit.

"Picked up this bounty puck before I left the Mid Rim. Fennec Shand, an assassin. Heard she's been on the run ever since the New Republic put all her employers in lockdown." Toro says.

"I know the name." Din says.

"I followed this tracking fob here. Now the positional data suggests she's headed out beyond the Dune Sea." He explains and shrugs. "Should be an easy job."

"Well, good luck with that." He says and stands, pulling Cordelia with him.

"Wait, wait, wait, hey. I thought you needed work?" Toro says, making Din stop and turn to him.

"How long have you been with the Guild?" He asks.

"Long enough." The man replies.

"Clearly not. Fennec Shand is an elite mercenary. She made her name killing for all the top crime syndicates, including the Hutts. If you go after her, you won't make it past sunrise." He tells him and starts walking away.

"This is my first job." Toro admits, making Din stop. "You two can keep the money, all of it. I just need this job to get into the Guild." He scoffs. "I can't do it alone." He says. Cordelia grabs Din's arm. He glances at her.

"Meet me at Hangar three-five in half an hour. Bring two speeder bikes and give me the tracking fob." He says, holding out his hand. Toro glances at the fob in his hand before smashing it against the wall.

"Don't worry, got it all memorized." He says, winking at Cordelia.

"Half an hour." Din repeats, pulling Cordelia out of the cantina.

"Looks like you're stuck with me now, gorgeous." Toro calls after them. Din pulls her closer to his side and she rolls her eyes. 

Hey guys! I'm so sorry this chapter is so late, I've been having a very draining week both mentally and emotionally and completely forgot that today was Friday and time to post a new chapter. I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far! :)