Chapter 13 | The Jedi (Part 1)

"Corvus, this is the place." Din says as the ship nears the planet. "I've detected a beacon. I'm gonna start the landing cycle. You better get back in your seat." He tells the Child. He continues sitting on the controls near Din, staring at the ball he loves to take. "Hey, what did I tell you? Back in your seat."

The Child does as he's told, climbing down from his controls. Instead of going to his seat, he walks to Cordelia's grabbing her leg. She chuckles and lifts him onto her lap, stroking his head. He coos, staring at the ball again. He raises his hand and closes his eyes, beginning to unscrew the ball.

Cordelia smiles, watching as he uses his powers. She's proud, but sad at the same time, knowing that he needs training that they can't provide. 

A few minutes later, she and Din head down the ramp and look around. The Child follows behind, holding the ball. He coos and sits on the ramp, getting their attention.

"What did I say about that?" Din asks, taking it from him. "This needs to stay in the ship." He says before tucking it into a pocket.

"I have a feeling you'll be getting it back soon." Cordelia whispers to the Child as she lifts him into her arms.

"Not much to see out here." He says when she returns to his side. He looks at her. "Never had dealing with a Jedi before. Delia?" He says. She presses a hand to her head when she feels a familiar tingle, but it quickly disappears.

"Maybe? I don't know. I can't remember." She says. He grabs her hand and squeezes it.

"It's all right. Let's head into town. See if we can pick up a lead." Din says, taking the Child and tucking him into his arm, the other moving to Cordelia's back.

***

The three arrive at the gates to town, Din hiding the Child in the bag at his side. They stop and look up at the guards.

"State your business." The middle of the three says.

"Been tracking for a few days. Looking for a layover." He replies.

"Nice armor." He says. "You hunters, then?" Din nods.

"That's right." He answers.

"Guild?" The man asks. Din nods again.

"Last I checked." He responds. One of the guards speaks to the man in the middle in an alien language.

"Open the gate." The man says. The gates start to open and Din grabs Cordelia's hand as they walk towards it. He keeps her close as they walk down the path.

"Pardon me, vendor, have you heard of anyone..." Din trails off with a sigh as the vendor walks off. He looks around and spots people in the alley, approaching them. "You there. We need some information. We're looking for someone." He says. The Child coos at the other children. 

"Okay, bye." The man whispers to the children. He approaches them. "Please, do not speak to them, or to any of us."

"Look, I just need to know-" He starts to say. He's interrupted by guards.

"The magistrate wants to see you." One of them says. Din turns, tightening his grip on his wife's hand. He glances back at the man before walking forward, letting the guards lead the way.

They near the gates to the inner city, passing people in cages. Cordelia squeezes Din's hand, silently telling him that they have to help these people. One asks them for help, and he gets shocked. Cordelia tries to tell them that they'll be back to help through her expression, hoping they understand.

The gates open and the Child burrows further into the bag, hiding himself completely. They walk through the gates and find the Magistrate. Cordelia lets him take the lead, as he often does when speaking with the enemy.

"Come forward." She says. They approach and she turns to look at them. "You are a Mandalorian?" She asks.

"Yes." He answers.

"I have a proposition that may interest you." She says.

"Our price is high." He responds. The Magistrate moves away from the edge so they both stand in the middle of the walkway.

"This target is priceless. A Jedi plagues me. I want you to kill her." She tells them.

"That's a difficult task." Din says.

"One that you are well-suited for. The Jedi are the ancient enemy of Mandalore." She replies.

"As I said, our price is high." He repeats. The Magistrate holds her hand out, and the droid behind her approaches, handing her the spear it held. It returns to its spot as she approaches slowly.

"What do you make of this?" She asks, holding it flat in her palms. They approach and Din holds his hands out. She transfers the spear, and he steps back, playing with the weight of it. He taps it against his vambrace, and it clangs loudly.

"Beskar." He says.

"Pure beskar." She corrects. "Like your armor. Kill the Jedi and it's yours. Din steps forward and returns the spear. 

"Where do we find this Jedi?" He asks.

***

Din and Cordelia step outside the gates, Lang next to them. The Child coos inside his bag as they look around, getting Lang's attention.

"What is that thing?" He asks as Din and Cordelia look at him. The Child looks up at him and grunts.

"We keep it around for luck." He lies, looking back out at the desolate forest.

"You're gonna need it where you're headed." Lang says. Din looks at him before taking Cordelia's hand and leading the way into the forest.

Din leads the way through the forest, his pulse rifle in hand. He slows as they near the right spot.

"Well, these are the coordinates. Keep your eyes open. We must be close." He says. He scans the ground with his helmet, lifting his head after hearing rustling.

"Did you hear that?" Cordelia asks. He nods and she takes the Child. She gently sets him on a nearby rock, crouching in front of him. "Hey, Buddy. Don't worry. Sit tight while we check this out." She tells him. He coos and she chuckles, kissing his head before moving to join Din.

Din scans the surroundings, sighing when he spots two large animals.

"False alarm." He says. He hears something behind him and pushes Cordelia away, shielding himself with his arms. "Stay back!" He yells to Cordelia. She does, knowing that his armor will protect him and she's no match for a Jedi.

Cordelia moves around them as they fight, lifting the Child into her arms. She holds him close as they watch the two.

"Ahsoka Tano!" Din says. They both stop, Din holding his blaster, Ahsoka her lightsabers. "Bo-Katan sent us. We need to talk." He says. Ahsoka's gaze shifts behind him to where Cordelia holds the Child. She straightens, lowering her weapons.

"I hope it's about him." She says, looking at him. Din turns, spotting them behind him. The Child coos and the two approach them.

The Child stares at them, tilting his head as they look at him.

Hey guys, I'm so sorry this is late! I thought yesterday was Thursday and didn't realize that yesterday was actually Friday until I woke up this morning lol