Chapter 7 | The Reckoning (Part 1)

Cordelia, Din and the Child enter the cantina on Sorgan, spotting Cara Dune collecting credits from a crowd. 

"Looking for some work?" Din asks as Cara spots them. She chuckles and leads them to a table in the corner.

"It seems like a straightforward operation. They're providing the plan and firepower. I'm the snare." Din explains.

"We. We're the snare." Cordelia corrects, taking a sip of her drink.

"With the kid?" Cara asks.

"That's why we're coming to you." Din says.

"I don't know. I've been advised to lay low. If anybody runs my chain code, I'll rot in a cell for the rest of my life." She says.

"I thought you were a veteran." Cordelia says.

"I've been a lot of things since. Most of them carry a life sentence. If I so much as book passage on a ship registered to the New Republic, I'm-" She responds.

"We have a ship. We can bring you there and back with a handsome reward. You can live free of worry." Din says.

"I'm already free of worry, and I'm not in the mood to play soldier anymore. Especially fighting some local warlord." Cara says.

"He's not a local warlord. He's Imperial." He says. Cara nods.

"I'm in." She says

***

"Does your contact need to vet me?" Cara asks. Cordelia sits in her seat in the cockpit while Din flies and Cara looks around. The Child sits in his pram, watching them.

"Doesn't know you're coming." He replies.

"Really? That could be a problem." She says.

"It won't." He says. He spins around. "But if it is, that's his problem." He gets up, holding his hand out to Cordelia. She takes it and he pulls her to her feet, letting her go down the ladder first.

"He all right up there alone?" Cara asks as she gets off the ladder after Din.

"Yeah." He says, moving away from the weapon armory. He leans against the wall and Cordelia sits on the crate next to him. Cara looks inside at the weapons. "Pick one." She begins picking what she wants.

"You trust the contact?" She asks.

"Not particularly. He and I had a run-in last time I was there on some Guild business." He explains. Cordelia slips her hand in his and he laces their fingers together.

"So then why are we going?" Cara asks.

"We don't have a choice. You saw what happened on Sorgan. They'll keep sending hunters. The kid and Delia will never be safe until the Imp is dead." He says.

"And you're okay with bringing 'em back there?" She asks. Din looks at Cordelia and she hops off the crate, squeezing his hand as she grabs his other.

"Not really. That's why we're bringing you." Din says. 

Suddenly, the ship begins jerking around. Din wraps his arm around Cordelia, pulling her against his chest to shield and stabilize her. He moves them towards the ladder and climbs up, Cordelia and Cara right behind him.

They enter the cockpit and see the Child on the control panel, playing with the controls as he babbles. Din quickly makes his way across the cockpit to the controls, grabbing the Child and handing him to Cordelia. 

She holds him against her chest, gently scolding him for playing with the controls. Din sits in his seat, working to right the ship. The alarm stops ringing, and Cordelia sets the Child in his pram.