Chapter 12 | The Siege (Part 1)

"No, no, no. No, the red one. Show me the red wire." Din says as Cordelia enters the cockpit. She spots him crouched in front of the open panel in the wall and gasps.

"Din! What the hell are you doing?" She asks, rushing over and pushing him out of the way so she can look at the Child. She smiles at him before turning to glare at her husband. "What is wrong with you?! He could get hurt!" She says.

"The kid's fine. He wants to help." He replies. She pinches his arm. "What was that for?" He asks.

"That was for putting him in a position to hurt himself." Cordelia says. She pinches his other arm. "That was for being an idiot." She stands and moves towards the door.

"I may be an idiot, but I'm your idiot." He tells her. She rolls her eyes but turns to smile at him.

"If everything goes wrong, I'll be in our room." She says.

Later, Din and the Child join her. Cordelia makes food and they sit together as they eat.

"There's no way we're making it to Corvus in this shape." Din says before lifting his helmet up just enough to drink his broth. The Child tries to peek at him and Cordelia chuckles before encouraging him to eat.

"I think we should stop to see our friends." Cordelia says, smiling at the two from behind her bowl.

"How'd you like to go back to Nevarro?" Din asks the Child. He coos softly before he and Din take a sip at the same time. Cordelia chuckles at them before finishing her bowl.

***

Din lowers the ramp, but it doesn't even make it halfway down before stopping. 

"Looks like someone could use some repairs." Greef calls as Din hands the Child to Cordelia before hopping down. She passes the Child back and he sets him on the ground. He turns back and holds his arms out. Cordelia jumps and he catches her, gently setting her on the ground. The Child grabs onto Cordelia's leg and she lifts him into her arms. The family approaches their friends, Din and Greef shaking hands once they meet each other.

"How's our credit around here?" Din asks.

"I think something could be arranged. Isn't that right, Marshal?" He asks, looking over at Cara. She steps forward and grabs the Child's hand.

"I'm sure we can work somethin' out." She says.

"I'll get my best people on it." Greef says. He turns to the nearby workers. "Hey, fellas! Let's fix this family's ship! I want it as good as new." He turns back to them. "And you, come here, little one!" He says with a chuckle.  

Cordelia laughs as she hands the Child to him. Din wraps his arm around her and pulls her into his side.

"Have Mando and Cordelia been taking good care of you, huh?" He asks the Child. He looks to the couple. "Have you been takin' good care o' him?" The Child coos. "Yeah? Yeah! He said 'yeah'!" He laughs.

Cordelia smiles at his excitement and leans further into Din's side as they begin walking into town.

"Looks like you two have been busy." Din says as they walk through the busy town.

"I myself have been steeped in clerical work. Marshal Dune here is to be thanked for cleaning up the town." Greef replies.

"Your ship's not lookin' too good." Cara says.

"We had a run-in with the New Republic." Din answers.

"They should leave the Outer Rim alone. If the Empire couldn't settle it, what makes them think they can?" Greef says. They reach the building where they met the Client, and he stops at the door. "Here we are." 

"I'm surprised to see this place still standing." He says. Cordelia grabs his hand, not liking her memories from this place.

"Wait till you see inside." Cara says before following Greef inside. Din gives her hand a reassuring squeeze before leading her inside.

"Who can name one of the five major trade routes in the galaxy? Anyone? How about the Corellian Run?" A female protocol droid asks the class. Cordelia feels the familiar pull in her head but ignores it, instead focusing on what she sees.

"It's a school?" She asks softly as the droid continues teaching the lesson.

"Things have changed a lot around here." Cara replies.

"We're gonna leave the little one here so we can talk business." Greef says, stepping towards further into the room.

"Wait. Wherever we go, he goes." Din protests. Cordelia nods, stepping forward with him.

"Mando, Cordelia, please. Where we're going, you don't wanna take a child. Trust me." He says. He turns and walks away.

"He'll be fine here. You have my word." Cara reassures. They both nod and Din pulls Cordelia back into his side, wanting to keep her close. They watch as Greef sets the Child in an empty seat before returning to them. The students begin to whisper and try to get a better look at the Child.

"Come on." Greef says, passing them and walking out the door.

They walk through town, following Greef until they reach another building. He leads them inside.

"There's no registration on the ship, but I'm pretty sure it belongs..." Mythrol trails off as Din enters.

"I believe you two have met." Greef says. Mythrol lets out a mist from his neck.

"I'm surprised to see you here." Din says. Mythrol nods.

"Right back at ya." He replies.

"Mythrol here's taken care of my books since he was a pollywog. But then he disappeared one day after a bit of 'creative accounting'." Greef explains.

"Magistrate Karga was generous enough to let me work off my debt. Thank you, by the way." He says.

"Three hundred and fifty years, but who's counting?" He says.

"Well, if he runs off on you again, let me know." Din says.

"Let me assure you, I do not wanna spend any more time in carbonite. Still can't see outta my left eye." Mythrol says. Cordelia turns to Din and crosses her arms. He shrugs. "Who's this beauty?" Mythrol asks, winking at her.

"This is Cordelia. My wife." Din tells him, pulling Cordelia against him. She chuckles at his possessiveness, patting his chest.

"Mando, come on. Be nice." She says.

"You two got married? When?" Greef asks.

"Um...when we got back to the Crest." She answers, holding her hand towards him so he can see the ring. "The Armorer gave these to Mando before we left."

"Congratulations!" He says, patting their shoulders.

"Can we talk business now?" Cara asks, moving towards the other desk.

"We're only here for repairs." Din says.

"Which'll take a while. Which means you'll have free time on your hands, right?" Greef asks. He glances at Cara. "And we could really use your help." He adds.

"Help how?" He asks. Cara presses a button, and a map pops up.

She and Greef tell the couple about the Imperial base causing issues for the planet.

"What are we looking at?" Din asks, agreeing to help.

Cordelia grins, happy to both help her friends and take out the rest of the Empire left on Nevarro.