Chapter 22 | Guns for Hire (Part 1)

"There they are." Bo announces, steering her ship towards the fleet ahead.

"That's quite a fleet." Din says.

"It took me a long time to assemble it. Most of it was captured from the Empire." She replies. Cordelia laughs, remembering Din helping steal one. She takes a closer look at the ships.

"Those will be useful when taking back Mandalore." She tells her.

"Axe Woves is their leader now. It's going to take some convincing to get them to join us." She says.

"I wonder what they're here for?" Din asks.

"This planet isn't on the New Republic Registry, so I'd guess it's an independent world that hired them for protection." She answers.

"Can't imagine Woves will be happy to see you." He replies.

"Yeah. I'll land outside the fleet's perimeter. It's probably best if we go in on foot." Bo tells them. Music plays over the comms and they glance at each other, confused.

"Welcome to Plazir-15. The Outer Rim's only remaining direct democracy. You've been assigned a docking slip. You will be guided on the assigned path. Engaging automated guidance." A voice says. The ship lurches as the controls are taken over.

"What just happened?" Cordelia asks.

"They've taken control of the ship." Bo sighs. She sits back and glances at Grogu next to her. "I guess we're going for a ride." He coos excitedly and Pandora squeals, matching his enthusiasm.

Once they land, the three descend the ramp, Grogu in the pram behind them and Pandora strapped to her father's chest. 

"This is interesting." Din says, looking around as they approach the droids waiting for them.

"Welcome to Plazir-15. Please proceed to your hyperloop pod." The protocol droid tells them. Din pulls Cordelia closer as they pass, holding her hand as the other rests on Pandora's back.

"Why do they have Imperial droids on an independent world?" He asks quietly as they approach the pod.

"It's the Outer Rim. Your guess is as good as mine." Bo replies. They enter the pod, Din and Cordelia sitting on one side, Bo on the other with Grogu's pram. "Bring us to the bay closest to the Mandalorian fleet."

"As per Article Nine of the Coruscant Accords, permission must be granted from High Senate for access to self-defense forces in the peacekeeping zone. Do you grant permission to scan your chain code?" A voice says. The three each hold theirs out to be scanned. "Din Djarin, Cordelia Djarin, and Bo-Katan Kryze. Your presence has been requested by the leadership of the planetary democracy-"

"I'm afraid we have more pressing matters. Perhaps at a later time." Bo interrupts.

"Please do not attempt to leave the vehicle. This is not a request." The voice tells them. The pod zooms down the track and the children squeal as they move through a tunnel.

"I've never been here before. Have either of you?" She asks as they watch the city as they move.

"I've never even heard of it." Cordelia answers. Din nods, agreeing with her.

"Do you think we're gonna have to blast our way out of here?" He asks, tightening his arm around Cordelia and rubbing Pandora's back.

"We'll find out." Bo replies. The pod brakes and both children coo at the sudden stop.

They exit the pod and follow the path towards the building. Din grabs Cordelia's hand, keeping the other free in case he has to draw his blaster.

"Join us! Come!" A man calls as they enter the room. He's seated at the head of the long table, a gorgeous woman at his side. "It's a party. Come! Everyone, special guests. Mandalorians." He announces. "I hope you like secretions. Take a little sip-sip. Come, please."