Chapter 9 | The Marshal (Part 2)

Cordelia sits behind Din on the speeder, resting her head on his shoulder. One arm is wrapped around him while the other reaches towards the Child so he can grab onto her finger. They ride the speeder until the suns start to set and Din spots a small group of Tuskens camping nearby. 

He stops and they join their group, Din talking with them while Cordelia leans against his side and feeds the Child. When the sun sets, the group begins to lay down to sleep. Once all the Tuskens and the Child are asleep, Cordelia grabs Din's hand and leads him towards their speeder. She tucks the Child into his bag and kisses his forehead before she moves back to Din.

"Come on. You need to eat." She tells him, pulling him down to sit on the ground on the far side of the speeder with her. He tilts his helmet at her.

"And how am I going to do that?" He says. She laughs and grabs his cape, yanking it over his head. She ducks her head under the cape too.

"There. Now you can take your helmet off and eat." She says, smiling at him. He chuckles as she removes her head from the cape to grab food for them. When she returns under the cape, he has his helmet off and smiles at her. She holds out his food and they begin to eat.

"What did you and Peli talk about earlier?" Din asks, making Cordelia laugh.

"She wanted to know when we got together. I told her a quick version of what happened." She explains. He smiles and reaches over to brush his thumb over her ring.

"What did she say after that?" He asks. She laces their fingers together and smiles.

"She said she's happy for us, and I'm using her exact words 'You're so in love it's gross'." She says and chuckles. He laughs, setting aside his dinner to pull her closer.

"If you're gross, then I'm disgusting." He says. She laughs, placing her hand on his chest.

"I love you." She says. He places his hand over hers.

"I love you too." Din says and kisses her. They quickly finish eating and he slips his helmet back on. They move back towards the group and fire, sitting near the fire. Cordelia tucks herself into Din's side and they wrap their arms around each other. 

"Goodnight, Riduur." She says, resting her head on his chest.

"Goodnight, Delia." He replies, holding her closer.

***

The next day, they reach Mos Pelgo. As they near the town, the citizens watch them warily. Din parks the speeder outside the cantina and stands. He moves towards the building and Cordelia grabs the Child before following.

They enter and Din stops in the doorway to look around. The cantina is empty except for the bartender. They approach the bar and meet him.

"Can I help you?" The bartender asks.

"We're looking for a Mandalorian." He says.

"Well, we don't get many visitors in these parts. Can you describe him?" He replies.

"Someone who looks like me." Din says.

"You mean the Marshal?" He asks.

"Your Marshal wears Mandalorian armor?" Cordelia asks, glancing at Din. The bartender glances at the entrance.

"See for yourself." He says. They turn and spot a man in Mandalorian armor standing in the doorway. Cordelia rests her hand on her husband's arm as the Marshal moves closer.

"What brings you here, strangers?" The Marshal asks.

"We've been searching for you for many parsecs." Din says.

"Well, now you found me. Weequay, three snorts of spotchka." He replies, approaching the bar. He grabs the bottle and cups. "Why don't you join me for a drink?" He asks, moving towards the nearest table. 

He sits down and Din begins walking towards the table. He stops when the Marshal takes off his helmet and sets it down. Cordelia steps forward and places her hand on his back.

"I've never met a real Mandalorian." He says. He chuckles. "Heard stories. I know you're good at killing. And probably none too happy to see me wearing this hardware. So...I figure only one of us is walking out of here." He glances at Cordelia and the Child. "But then I see the woman and the little guy and I think, maybe I pegged you wrong." He sets the other two cups of spotchka on the side of the table closest to the family.

"Who are you?" Din asks.

"I'm Cobb Vanth, Marshal of Mos Pelgo." He replies, raising his glass.

"Where did you get the armor?" He asks.

"Bought it off some Jawas." Vanth says, downing his drink.

"Hand it over." He says. Cordelia rolls her eyes at his tone.

"Look, pal, I'm sure you call the shots where you come from, but 'round here, I'm the one tells folks what to do." He says. 

"Take it off." Din says as he steps forward. Cordelia sighs and moves towards the bar. "Or I will." He finishes. She turns to the bartender.

"Could I get a water for him?" She asks, looking at the Child.

"Sure thing." He replies, moving behind the bar to pour a water. While he does, she turns her attention back to Din and Vanth.

"We gonna do this in front of your family?" Vanth is asking as she focuses back on them.

"They've seen worse." Din replies. Cordelia turns back as the bartender sets the cup down on the bar.

"Thank you." She says, handing over some credits. The bartender takes them with a nod and they turn back to the men.

"Right here, then?" Vanth asks, looking around the cantina.

"Right here." Din confirms. Cordelia rolls her eyes and the Child sips his water as he watches. The Marshal sighs and stands, pushing his chair back. They both hover a hand over their blasters as they stare each other down.

Before either can draw their blaster, the building begins to shake. The Child whimpers and Cordelia tightens her hold on him. Cobb Vanth raises a finger at Din, then moves to exit the cantina. The bartender heads out the side door and Din approaches Cordelia. 

He wraps his arm around her and they follow the Marshal out of the cantina. Once outside they hear an alarm blaring and spot people running towards shelter. They watch the sand shift as something approaches the town from under the ground. It screeches as it nears, then moves through the middle of town in front of them.

"What the hell?" Cordelia says as it passes them. Din pulls her closer to his side and they watch as it reaches the end of town, emerging from under the sand to eat the lone bantha. 

"Maybe we can work something out." Vanth says before entering the cantina again. Cordelia turns to Din.

"Not everything has to be solved with violence, you know." She tells him, unimpressed with earlier.

"I'll work on it." He says. She laughs and slips her hand into his as they follow the Marshal.

Hey guys! I had planned on posting both parts today to make up for missing last week, but there was a family emergency (everyone is okay) and I wasn't able to write as much as I wanted so it'll be posted tomorrow instead. See you then :)