Chapter 8 | Redemption (Part 1)

"Is there another way out?" Cara asks. The stormtroopers continue standing outside.

"No, that's it." Karga says. Cordelia glances around the room, looking for any possible way to escape.

"What about the sewers?" Din asks.

"Sewers?" He asks.

"The Mandalorians have a covert down in the sewers. If we can get down there, they can help us escape." He explains.

"Yeah, sewers are good." Cara says.

"Checking for access points." He says, pressing the button on his vambrace to begin scanning with his visor.

"What the hell are they waiting for?" She asks, peeking outside again.

"Whatever it is, it can't be good." Cordelia says, watching Din.

"Hold up." Cara says. Cordelia and Karga look outside to see a small group of stormtroopers building a large blaster. "They're setting up an E-Web."

"It's over." Karga says. Cordelia glares at the two.

"No, it's not. We can't just give up." She says.

"I found the sewer vent." Din says.

"Let's get the hell out of here." Cara says. They quickly move to the vent, staying low as they move through the room. Cordelia and Din holster their blasters and clear the vent. Cara and Din begin trying to pull the vent off.

"It's assembled! How long until that thing's cleared?" Karga says.

"Blow it." Cara says.

"I'm out of charges." Din replies.

"Get out of the way!" She says, grabbing her blaster. Din pulls Cordelia back and puts himself between her and Cara as she fires at the vent. She kicks it, but it doesn't budge.

"Your astute panic suggests that you understand your situation. I would prefer to avoid any further violence, and encourage a moment of consideration. Members of my escort have completed assembly of an E-Web heavy repeating blaster. If you are unfamiliar with this weapon, I am sure that Republican Shock Trooper Carasynthia Dune of Alderaan will advise you that she has witnessed many of her ranks vaporized mid-descent facing the predecessor of this particular model." The man outside says.

Din, Karga and Cordelia all look to Cara as he speaks her name.

"Or perhaps the decommissioned Mandalorian hunter, Din Djarin," He continues. At the sound of his name, Din steps closer to the window. Cordelia moves with him and slips her hand into his, lacing their fingers together. "has heard the songs of the siege of Mandalore, when gunships outfitted with similar ordnance laid waste to fields of Mandalorian recruits in The Night of a Thousand Tears." He says. 

Cordelia wraps her other arm around Din's trying to comfort him in any way she can.

"I advise disgraced Magistrate Greef Karga to search the wisdom of his years and urge you to lay down your arms and come outside." The man says. 

Din pulls his hand from Cordelia's, instead wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into his chest. Although he knows he can't shield her from the words, he hopes his support will soften the blow.

"Finally, Cordelia Solo can tell you it takes an army to oppose the Empire. You are insignificant." He states. He pauses to let his words sink in. Cara and Karga both stare at her and she grips Din's shirt between his armor, unsure how to feel about their attention. "The structure you are trapped in will be razed in short order and your storied lives will come to an unceremonious end."