Chapter 17 | The Apostate (Part 2)

"We are an official trade spur of the Hydian Way." Greef tells his friends as they move onto the balcony. Grogu sits in his chair, using the Force to spin around. Pandora babbles to herself as she looks around, sitting in the crook of her father's arm.

"Congratulations, Greef. We're happy for you." Cordelia replies.

"We've got a construction boom going on in the city. The belters are mining the asteroid fields at the edge of the system. There's a lot of money to be made on Nevarro." He continues.

"We can see that." Din says.

"I can set you up with a prime tract right over by the hot springs. You two and your little ones, you can settle down, you can hang up your blasters. Live off the fat of the land." He tells them. 

Cordelia moves back inside to check on Grogu, keeping her back to the two still outside. She doesn't want Din to see the hope on her face at the idea of them settling down, knowing he needs to finish this journey for himself.

"Grogu." Din corrects his friend.

"Come again?" He asks.

"His name is Grogu." He clarifies.

"Oh. If you say so." Greef says, glancing over at the child. "Come, I wanna show you something." He leads him inside and Din wraps his free arm around Cordelia. "Now, as I was saying, there's a beautiful parcel available right down here by the flats."

"We appreciate the offer, but we have some matters to look after." He tells him.

"Oh, I'm confused. I thought you had completed your mission, but you're still running around here with the same little critter." He replies, gesturing to Grogu who still spins around in his chair. Din reaches over and stops the chair.

"It's complicated. I completed my quest. He returned to us. I removed my helmet, and now I'm an apostate." Din explains. Cordelia covers his hand with her own, silently comforting him.

"Which is all the more reason for you to stay here with us. Where you are from, you may be an apostate, but here, you'd be landed gentry." He argues.

"Magistrate." A droid interrupts, entering the room.

"High Magistrate." Greef corrects.

"Yes, High Magistrate. Apologies." He says.

"Your timing couldn't be any worse." He tells the droid.

"But it's just that, there's someone here to see you." He replies.

"It can wait." Greef says.

"But it's pirates!" He exclaims. "Pirates in the courtyard."

Greef moves to the doorway, giving the family a little privacy to decide their plan. 

"I'll stay here with the kids." Cordelia offers, taking Pandora and resting her daughter on her hip.

"Okay. We'll be back soon." He tells her, leaning down for a Keldabe Kiss, wrapping his arm around her, leaving his other open for Grogu to join them. 

Grogu coos as he jumps into his father's hold, joining the family hug. Pandora babbles excitedly, grabbing at Din's helmet. He chuckles and leans down so she can rest her small hands on the sides of his helmet.

"Dada." She coos, giggling as she runs her hands over the cool beskar. He takes her hands and pulls them away, resting his hand on her back as he looks down at his children. He passes Grogu to Cordelia, so she holds both of their kids.

"I'll be back soon, ade." He tells them, quickly resting his forehead to each of theirs before joining Greef. 

Cordelia watches them leave the room, moving to watch from the balcony. She keeps her focus on Din as Greef talks with the pirates. He pushes off the tree he's leaning against as the situation grows more tense, Greef standing off against the leader of the pirate group.