Chapter 17 | The Apostate (Part 1)

"You three okay back there, Riduur?" Din calls, turning the ship around after firing at the creature attacking the Mandalorian covert. He does his best to keep the ship steady, but Cordelia still has to reach out and brace herself.

"We're fine, but they still need your help!" She replies, looking over at the creature. She watches as Din aims at the creature and fires again. It hits right under its shell, killing it. 

He lands the ship, and the family looks over at the group of Mandalorians staring at them. Grogu waves at them and Cordelia laughs, kissing the top of his head. 

"Are you ready?" She asks her husband. He takes a deep breath and nods. "We're with you, Din. Always." She tells him. He looks back at her and she can picture his face under the helmet, looking at his family with love. 

Din hops out of the ship as the group disperses, the Armorer returning to her forge. He moves to help Cordelia down, careful of their daughter strapped to her chest. Grogu jumps to the ground and looks around, eager to explore this new area.

"She's okay?" He asks, resting his hand on her small back as he looks at her. Cordelia chuckles and rests her hand over his.

"Pandora's fine, Din. She's just sleeping. Your flying isn't gonna hurt her, I promise." She tells him. He nods and leans down for a Keldabe Kiss. "You're a great father, to both of our children. Don't doubt yourself." 

"I'll try." He replies. She smiles and looks to Grogu. He coos at them, leading the way from the ship. Din chuckles and takes the lead, entering the cave the Armorer disappeared into.

They find her hunched over a workbench, her back to them. She doesn't bother to turn as they enter and stop inside.

"You have removed your helmet. What's worse, you did so of your own free will." The Armorer tells them. She turns and looks at them, pausing when she spots Pandora strapped to her mother's chest. "You are no longer Mandalorian." She states.

Grogu coos up at his parents and Cordelia does her best not to show her annoyance on her face, knowing that Din removed his helmet for his family.

"The Creed teaches us of redemption." Din says. 

"Redemption is no longer possible since the destruction of our homeworld." She answers.

"But what if the mines of Mandalore still exist?" Cordelia asks, unable to keep quiet any longer at the idea of Din not getting the redemption he desires.

"All was destroyed in the Purge." The Armorer replies.

"Is this inscription not Mandalorian?" Din asks, pulling the piece from his belt. The Armorer lifts her head to look at it as he sets it on the table in front of them. 

Grogu pulls himself up to look at it as Din and Cordelia sit. Pandora begins to fuss as she wakes, whining as she reaches towards Din.

"Dada." She coos as her mother unwraps her and passes her to her father. He tucks her into his elbow, and she coos again, reaching towards his helmet. He chuckles and pulls her favorite toy from the bag on Cordelia's hip.

Cordelia smiles at them as she watches Pandora grab the small Wookiee doll and begins playing with it, babbling to herself.

"Where did you come upon this?" The Armorer asks, joining them at the table. She focuses on the relic, knowing she must keep from watching the family. Their bond is endearing, and she must stay strong and keep from lifting his exile.

Cordelia, almost sensing The Armorer's conflict, softens her expression. Her anger and annoyance lessens as she considers her point of view. She looks at her daughter resting in Din's arms, one hand holding his thumb and the other clutching her doll, soothing the ache of her new teeth coming in by biting on its arm.

"Jawas. They came upon it by trade from a traveler who claimed to have visited the surface of Mandalore." Din answers. 

"Then this relic only proves that Mandalore's entire surface has been crystalized by fusion rays." She says, looking at the shard in her hands.

"But a traveler was able to retrieve this, so perhaps, it is not poisoned. If we visit the planet and can bring you proof that I have bathed in the Living Waters beneath the mines of Mandalore, then by Creed, the decree of exile will be lifted, and I would be redeemed." He says. 

The Armorer looks at Pandora, then to Grogu as he looks up at her. 

"This is the Way." She says before standing and returning to her work.

"Then we will see you again." Din tells her as he stands, taking Cordelia's hand and pulling her with him. He moves his hand to the small of her back as they leave the cave and walk to their ship. 

Cordelia stops him before he can climb in, Grogu already jumping inside and sitting in her seat. She smiles at each of her children for a moment before turning back to her husband, cupping his helmet in her hands.

"I know it's important to you, but whether or not they lift this absurd exile, you are a Mandalorian, Din. You removed your helmet for us, for your family, and that is honorable." She tells him. He blows out a breath and rests his helmet to her forehead.

"I love you." He says. She smiles and slides her hand down to rest over his heart.

"We love you too, Din." She replies.

***

"Greetings. Welcome to the port of Nevarro, gem of the Outer Rim. Our esteemed High Magistrate welcomes you and hopes that your stay will be a prosperous one." A droid says as the family walks through the town.  

Din holds his wife's hand as she looks around the town in wonder, happy at how much progress has been made. Pandora and Grogu babble together in their expanded pram, looking around at the many sounds and people around them.

"A lot has changed around here." Din says. Cordelia smiles and nods.

"It's amazing." She replies. She gasps when she spots the statue of IG-11, rushing ahead to get a better look. They join her and Din wraps his arm around her as he looks up at it, remembering their two friends who gave their lives to save their son.

"Do you remember your old friend?" He asks, getting Grogu's attention. He coos, his ears drooping as he remembers the droid sacrificing himself for them. Cordelia rests her hand on his back, silently soothing him.

"Mando! Cordelia!" Greef calls as he approaches. He laughs when he nears, smiling at his friends. "I heard you were back, but I didn't believe it."

"Magistrate Karga." He greets.

"That's High Magistrate Karga to you." He teases, shaking Din's hand.

"I think I prefer the name Uncle Greef." Cordelia says, lifting Pandora out of the pram. 

"Who is this?" He asks, taking the baby offered to him. Pandora laughs and excitedly kicks her legs, reaching for him.

"Her name is Pandora Djarin." Din tells him proudly. Greef holds his free hand out to her, and she grabs onto it, squealing happily.

"It's very nice to meet you, Pandora. I'm your Uncle Greef." He says. He adjusts her onto his hip, and she clutches his robe in her tiny fist. "Come. Let's catch up. It's so good to see you two. Welcome back." He pats Din's shoulder as they begin walking.

"Doesn't even look like the same place." He comments.

"I know, we've done a lot with it." He replies. "The citizens have been so instrumental in making this all work."

"You must be so proud. It's perfect here." Cordelia says.

I'm so excited to be updating this story again! I should be updating every Wednesday, but the semester is over soon so there may be surprise updates too :)