Chapter 16 | The Rescue (Part 1)

Cordelia wakes to the sound of footsteps running around the room. She opens her eyes and looks around, finding herself in a different room than before. She recognizes it as a med bay before spotting Dr. Pershing running around. She tries to sit up but once again finds herself strapped to the table.

"What's going on? How did I get here?" She croaks, her voice hoarse from screaming from the torture. He stops for a moment and glances at her chest, then leg. She looks down and spots two large bandages over the areas, blood already starting to seep through them.

"You'll live." He says, before he finishes packing what he needs. 

"The Child?" She asks as he moves to the door. He pauses, glancing over his shoulder at her.

"He's alive." He answers. She leans her head back against the table, sighing in relief. She hears the door close behind Dr. Pershing and closes her eyes, finally letting herself cry. 

Cordelia pulls herself together and tugs against the restraints around her wrists and ankles, stopping when she feels a sharp pain in her leg. She looks down at the bandage and winces, remembering that one of the stormtroopers had shocked her so much that it had burned her.

The door opens and a stormtrooper enters. She watches them as they move to the far side of the room and grabs something off the table. They approach and she spots a needle. She shakes her head, tugging at her bindings.

"Quit struggling or I'll make this hurt." He says. She glares at him but stops moving. He steps forward and injects something into her arm. Cordelia tries to fight it, but quickly loses consciousness.

***

Din enters the med bay after taking out one of the Dark Troopers, sending the rest into space, and killing the two stormtroopers stationed outside. He spots Cordelia strapped to the table in the center of the room and rushes to her. He removes his helmet and sets it on the ground, taking off his gloves and tossing them next to it. He quickly undoes the restraints.

"Delia? Can you hear me? You need to wake up." He says, gently cradling her face. When she doesn't respond he runs his thumbs over her cheeks, softly calling her name.

"Din?" She whispers, her eyes fluttering open. Tears fill her eyes and Din pulls her into a sitting position, cradling her to his chest.

"It's okay. I'm here." He tells her, running his fingers through her hair and rubbing her back. She cries harder and he holds her closer, careful of her injuries. 

Din does his best to comfort her as she cries, letting it all out. After a while she pulls back and cups his face, bringing him closer until their foreheads touch.

"I knew you'd come for us." Cordelia whispers.

"I always will." He replies, pulling her closer and kissing her. She holds him tighter, never wanting to be separated from him again. "I love you." He says, pulling back to look her in the eyes.

"I love you, too." She whispers. 

His eyes drop to her chest, spotting the bandage peeking out of her shirt. He pulls it aside, eyeing the blood staining the dressing. He looks around the room and spots supplies on the table against the wall. He steps away.

"Where are you going?" She panics, reaching for him. He moves back to her, brushing the hair away from her face.

"I'm just getting supplies, Riduur. I need to rebandage your wounds." He says. Cordelia relaxes and nods, letting go of her tight grip. He quickly takes what he needs and returns to her, starting with her leg and making his way up. 

When Din gets to the wound on her chest, he steps away to calm himself down. He returns and takes another look at the large slash that starts on the right side of the base of her neck and moves across her collarbone to just under her left armpit. 

"Is it ugly?" Cordelia asks quietly, not wanting to look down at the wound. He quickly tends to it and cups her face, forcing her to look at him.

"Nothing will ever make you ugly, Cordelia. Never. You have endured so much, and this is just the proof. You are beautiful, inside and out. Don't you ever believe otherwise." He tells her, pulling her to his chest.

The two hold each other for a long moment, taking comfort in the other's presence. Neither want to leave the other's embrace, but they know that Grogu is waiting for them.

"Do you think you can stand?" Din asks, stepping back so she can swing her legs over the edge of the table. She winces at the movement, and he shakes his head. He hands her back her blaster, and his helmet before putting his gloves on. He scoops her into his arms and turns toward the door.

Cordelia laughs and leans her head on his shoulder, smiling up at him. He looks at her and smiles, kissing her forehead. She cups his cheek and pulls him into a kiss before placing his helmet back on his head.

***

Din peeks around the corner and spots the two stormtroopers stationed outside the room where Grogu is being held. He carefully sets Cordelia down before rounding the corner, quickly taking them out. 

Cordelia waits patiently for him to return. He moves her from around the corner to a few feet from the door, setting her down and kneeling in front of her.

"Stay here. I don't know what's inside, and I don't want you to get hurt." Din tells her. She nods, watching as he returns the spear to his back before opening the door. He enters, drawing his blaster. 

"Drop the blaster." Moff Gideon says. Cordelia blocks out his conversation with Din and focuses on trying to hear Grogu. Once she hears him coo quietly, she relaxes for a moment, then puts her blaster away.

She tries to stay quiet as she maneuvers against the wall until she stands. She stops as she moves towards the door, hearing Din's armor being hit repeatedly. He and Gideon exit the room fighting and Cordelia waits until they're far enough away to enter the room.

She spots Grogu on the other side and moves to him as quickly as she can, using the wall for support. He coos when she reaches him and pulls him into her lap.

"I'm so sorry, Grogu." Cordelia tells him, holding him close. He coos, leaning into her and grabbing her hand in his. She removes the binders from his wrists and kisses his head.

Grogu spies the bandage peeking out of her shirt and reaches for it, cooing sadly. She grabs his hand to stop him, smiling at him.

"I'm okay. Save your strength." She tells him, rubbing his ear. She tenses as she hears footsteps approaching along with the hum of the lightsaber Gideon carried.

Cordelia lifts her blaster and shields Grogu with her body, ready to shoot. She sighs and relaxes when she watches Din enter with the lightsaber held to Gideon's back. She holsters the blaster and holds Grogu, slowly approaching them, wincing at every step.

"Let's get out of here." Din tells them, wrapping his arm around Cordelia and letting her lean on him as they make their way to the bridge.