Chapter 23 | The Spies (Part 3)

"They intercepted any ships they saw leaving. They took no prisoners. They bombed every surface twice over. They punished us as a warning to the whole galaxy because we refused to surrender." The captain explains.

"That's not true." Bo says. "I did surrender."

The Mandalorians at the table begin whispering to each other and Bo shakes her head at Reeves as she opens her mouth to speak.

"After our forces were annihilated in the Night of a Thousand Tears and defeat was imminent, I met with Moff Gideon." She continues. Din pulls Cordelia closer at the name, and she rests her head on his shoulder, grabbing his other hand. "The ISB had reached out to me to negotiate a cease-fire. In exchange for submitting to the Empire and disarming, all remaining cities and Mandalorian lives were to be spared. That is how Moff Gideon came to possess the Darksaber. I didn't trust him, but it was the only chance I had to save our people. And then he betrayed me, and we were helpless to resist the Purge of Mandalore."

"How did these others survive?" One of the other Mandalorians asks, looking at the Armorer and Din.

"We were hidden on the moon of Concordia." The Armorer answers.

"Are you Death Watch?" The captain asks.

"Death Watch exists no longer. It shattered into many warring factions." She replies.

"Our people have suffered time and again. From division and squabbling factions. Mandalore has always been too powerful for any enemy to defeat. It is always our own division that destroys us." Bo says.

***

"I had no idea." Din tells Bo as he and Cordelia join her. "We were taught that everyone but us had forsaken the Way. That you were selfish and uncaring. Now I understand."

"I'd heard of Mandalore's fall, but I had no idea you had been betrayed when you tried all you could do to save your people." Cordelia adds. "Fuck the Empire." She mutters angrily.

"You were right. I was selfish. And this is what it wrought." Bo says, keeping her back to them. Cordelia rolls her eyes, annoyed her friend always speaks badly about herself.

"We'll rebuild it." She says, thinking it's ironic she had no interest in helping Leia with the senate, but wants to help rebuild Mandalore. 

"Isn't that our history? For thousands of years, we have been on the verge of extinction, and for thousands of years, we have survived." Din tells her. Bo turns to face them.

"I don't know if I can keep everyone together." She replies. "There's too much animosity. And this blade is all I have to unify our people."

"I only know of this weapon what you taught me. To be honest, it means nothing to me or my people. Nor does station of bloodline. What means more to me is honor. And loyalty. And character. These are the reasons we serve you, Lady Kryze. Your song is not yet written. We will serve you until it is." He says, nodding his helmet to her.

"You're not alone, gar atin utreekov." Cordelia tells Bo affectionately as she pulls her into a hug. "I defeated the Empire once. Shouldn't be too hard to do it again." She jokes, hoping to cheer her up. Bo laughs as she watches the couple walk away, thankful she has her friends and their support.

***

"You've got to be kidding me." Cordelia mutters as she spots Paz and Woves fighting over the game they'd been playing. She joins Bo and Din at the railing, rolling her eyes at the idiots risking injury before they've encountered any dangers.

"Should I step in?" Din asks.

"Neither side can step in. It was bound to happen sooner or later." Bo answers. Cordelia rolls her eyes again and slips away. She reaches the two men just after Grogu.

"No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No." He presses the button as he keeps the two Mandalorians apart. The two men lower their weapons and begin to walk away.

"You two seriously thought you were just walking away after that? Absolutely not." Cordelia tells them, grabbing their arms. 

She drags them to the front of the skiff, sits them down, and begins scolding them about their stupid and reckless behavior. She points out that they both know that both groups need each other even if they aren't willing to admit it and the fighting has got to stop if they want to rebuild Mandalore.

"You taught your son well." Bo tells Din after Grogu breaks up the fight.

"He didn't learn that from me." He replies, pointing to Cordelia as she lectures the two Mandalorians. They both chuckle, glad they aren't on the receiving end of Cordelia's scolding. 

"I'm not done with you." Cordelia tells Woves as he tries to leave. She waves Paz off as she glares at the Mandalorian sitting in front of her. "If you ever insult my family again, I'll slit your throat before you can finish."

"I'll admit I took it a little too far-" He starts.

"A little?" She asks. He sighs.

"I'm sorry, all right?" He tells her, standing and pushing past her. She scoffs but lets him go, knowing he's too proud to truly apologize to her right now. 

"I'm surrounded by a bunch of idiots." She mutters, watching as Paz and Woves try to keep as much distance as possible.

***

"There, on the starboard bow!" The lookout warns.

Din keeps Cordelia close as he moves to get a better look at the crumbling boulder ahead of them. The creature roars as it reveals itself as they pass.

"Abandon ship!" The captain yells.

"Let's go!" Woves shouts, standing on the opposite side of Grogu from Paz. They each take one of his arms and launch into the air with their jetpacks, taking him away from the danger. Din grabs Cordelia and follows as soon as they see that he's safely away from the creature. They join the others in the cave below.

"You okay?" Din asks his wife, cupping her face in his hands and looking for any injuries. She chuckles, knowing she was at his side the whole time.

"I'm fine." She assures. 

"You good?" He asks Grogu as he joins them. He coos once to let them know he's okay, a second time to ask about them.

"We're okay." She tells him, kissing the top of his head.

"We're not far. We need to go further down." The captain announces as rocks rain down on the group.

The family stays together as the group moves further down, keeping a tight hold on each other.

OH MY GOD THE NEWEST EPISODE OF AHSOKA IS A FUCKING MASTERPIECE

Also, sorry it's late I was too busy playing Baldur's Gate 3 and forgot it was Wednesday yesterday lol