Chapter 22 | Guns for Hire (Part 3)

"They've indicated that there's a likelihood that the next event will be at the loading docks." Din says, looking at the device in his hand. He and Cordelia sit on one side of the hyperloop pod, Bo on the other.

"How sure are they?" Bo asks.

"Hard to tell. Ugnaughts always seem sure of themselves." He replies.

"I know it's our only lead, but Ugnaughts are very skilled. I'm sure the lead is good." Cordelia tells her.

"We might as well have a look around." She agrees. The pod stops and she leads the way outside. "I haven't seen battle droids since the Clone Wars." She says as they walk down the steps towards the many droids at the loading docks.

"I have." Din replies. Cordelia squeezes his hand, knowing the sight of the droids must be bringing up painful memories for him.

"Any of 'em look suspicious?" She asks. 

"They all look suspicious." He tells her. Cordelia places her hand on his chest, stopping him.

"Bo and I can handle this if it's too painful." She offers. He covers her hand with his own as he shakes his head.

"No. I'm not leaving you if there's a possibility one of these droids could go rogue." He says.

"I can handle myself." Cordelia replies.

"I don't doubt that Riduur, but it would make me feel better to stay together." He tells her.

"If you're sure." She says. He nods and she sighs, hoping he doesn't take out any lingering anger at battle droids on the ones here. They rejoin Bo, who had waited for them just out of earshot.

"Halt." The droid foreman orders as he spots them approaching. "This is a restricted area. You are to vacate immediately."

"We have a few questions." Bo tells him. Cordelia stands next to her, and Din moves to stand on his wife's other side, keeping his body between hers and the line of droids carrying cargo.

"Show me your identification please." The droid says. Din wanders closer to the other droids as Bo and Cordelia stay to question the foreman.

"We're here to investigate the droid incidents around the city." Cordelia explains.

"Yes, I saw the reports. Rest assured, I've had the entire line of loaders undergo maintenance protocols as a safety measure. The, uh, certification is on file. Uh, I wouldn't do that if I were you." The foreman adds after seeing Din waving his hand in front of the droid passing him.

"Why's that?" He asks.

"Well, as a precaution. Their base function was warfare." He answers.

"I thought they were just checked out?" Din says.

"They were." He replies as Din kicks the leg out from under the droid in front of him.

"Din, what the hell?" Cordelia asks, glaring at him.

"This shouldn't faze them." He tells her. He continues kicking them as they pass.

"Uh, sir? Excuse me! Excuse me! Sir!" The foreman protests.

As Din kicks another droid, it falls to the ground, beeping. It gets to its feet and backhands Din, sending him flying to the ground. Cordelia rushes to his side as the droid pushes the foreman out of the way. She feels bad, knowing it had to hurt, but also doesn't, knowing that it's the consequence of his not so smart actions. 

Bo draws her blaster and fires, hitting a different droid instead. She continues firing as Cordelia helps Din to his feet and they start chasing the droid.

Cordelia leads the way after the droid, not weighed down by armor. Din is close behind her, following her lead as she dodges the obstacles the droid throws in their way. Bo brings up the rear, quickly catching up as they enter the busy streets.

They push citizens out of the way as they follow the droid. He suddenly stops, throwing a large crate at them. Din and Cordelia dive onto the ground, Bo using her jetpack to fly over it. The three quickly recover and continue chasing the droid, following it down an alley.

The three exit the alley, stopping near a parked speeder. They turn and spot a pole hurtling in their direction, quickly dropping to the ground. They continue the chase, Cordelia growing annoyed the longer they run.

"Keep going!" Din tells them as he splits off from them. They continue running after the droid, until Din dives through a window and tackles it to the ground. The three each fire a shot at the droid and it collapses.

Droids approach, quickly surrounding the area and declaring it a crime scene. Cordelia pulls Din to his feet, brushing some broken glass from his shoulders. Bo stands on the other side of the droid as they inspect it. She crouches down to get a closer look.

"I found a spark pad." She tells them.

"What's it say?" Din asks.

"'The Resistor'." She reads.

"Sounds like a droid bar." He replies. She sighs as she stands, taking a closer look.

"There's an address." Bo informs.

"That was a lot of running." Cordelia complains as Bo starts leading the way. Din chuckles and waves her towards him. "You're the best. I love you." She tells him as she jumps onto his back, wrapping her legs around his waist.

"I love you too." He tells her as he holds her tight and starts following Bo.

"No wonder Pandora likes being held by you more. You're so strong. I feel so safe." She adds after a few moments. He chuckles and shakes his head, amused.

"You two are sorta cute, but also disgusting at the same time." Bo says.

"Don't judge me. I hate running and we just did a lot of it. Plus, I just had a baby." She argues.

"A year ago." She replies.

"I'm sensing judgement and if we're going to continue to be friends, that's gonna have to stop." She says.

"Who said we're friends?" She teases. Cordelia gasps dramatically.

"Don't say that! Think about the children! You'll break their hearts!" She cries, faking tears.

"You're right. I'll stay for the sake of the children." Bo sighs, continuing the act.

"Thank you. You're amazing, Bo. So selfless." She jokes.

"You two are so weird." Din says, shaking his head.

"Oh, please. I have plenty of stories of your weirdness. It's there, you're just better at hiding it." Cordelia tells him, resting her head on his shoulder.

Bo laughs, looking forward to seeing how the personalities of Pandora, Grogu, and any future Djarin children will develop as they grow, knowing how unique their parents are.