Chapter 4 | Sanctuary (Part 3)

The next morning, Cordelia wakes to a heavy weight around her stomach. She opens her eyes and sees Din's arm wrapped around her, pining her to his chest. She smiles and relishes in the feel of him so close to her for a moment.

The Child coos from across the room and she sighs silently. She carefully slips out of bed and moves across the room to him. He coos up at her and she smiles at him, lifting him out of the crib.

"Let's get you some breakfast." She tells him quietly. She sets him on the ground so she can slip on her jacket and boots. She turns and spots the Child climbing into bed towards Din. She chuckles and grabs him before he reaches the sleeping Mandalorian. "Let him sleep." She whispers. 

Cordelia leaves the barn with the Child in her arms and looks around. She spots Omera and Winta sitting outside, eating breakfast. She approaches them and the Child coos at his new friend.

"Do you mind entertaining him while I get us breakfast?" She asks the pair.

"Of course." Omera responds. Cordelia nods and quickly prepares three plates. She enters the barn and sets the plate she made for Din onto the crate set up as a bedside table before rejoining the Child, Omera, and Winta.

She sits down and the Child rushes towards her, grabbing her leg. She chuckles and lifts him into her lap. She chats with Omera and Winta while she feeds the Child. When he's finished he goes off to play with Winta while Omera and Cordelia finish their own breakfasts.

***

"Bad news. You can't live here anymore." Din says. He, Cordelia, and Cara stand in front of the villagers. Cordelia smacks his arm, glaring at him. The villagers begin to talk amongst themselves while asking why.

"Nice bedside manner." Cara tells him.

"You think you can do better?" He asks. 

"It's literally impossible for her to do worse." Cordelia says, pinching his arm. 

"Stop that." He tells her. She ignores him and watches as Cara steps forward.

"I know this is not the news you wanted to hear, but there are no other options." Cara says.

"You took the job." A villager says.

"That was before we knew about the AT-ST." She replies.

"What is that?" He asks.

"The armored walker with two enormous guns that you knew about and didn't tell us." She explains. Cordelia grabs Din's arm and pulls him to the side so they can talk as the villagers start to ask for help.

"Din, we have to help them. There must be something we can do." She says.

"We have nowhere to go." Omera says, holding Winta to her side. Cordelia squeezes Din's arm, trying her best to convince him.

"Sure you do. This is a big planet. I mean, I've seen a lot smaller." Cara says. Cordelia glares at the woman.

"My grandparents seeded these ponds." One villager says.

"It took generations." Another adds.

"I understand. I do. But there are only three of us." Cara says.

"No, there's not. There's at least twenty here." The villager says.

"I mean fighters. Be realistic." She says.

"We can learn." A villager says. The others call out similarly.

"Please, Din." Cordelia says quietly.

"I've seen that thing take out entire companies of soldiers in a matter of minutes." Cara says.

"We're not leaving." Omera says.