Chapter 11 | The Heiress

Cordelia wakes to the sound of an alarm beeping. She lifts her head from Din's shoulder and groans, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She spots the Child waking up in her usual seat and smiles at him.

"Looks like we made it. Get ready for landing." Din says. Cordelia climbs off his lap and moves to her seat, holding the Child in her lap. 

"Hi, Buddy. Did you sleep well?" She asks him. He coos, grabbing her finger. She chuckles, running her finger over his head.

"Dank farrik. The landing array isn't responding. Without the guidance system, it'll be a manual re-entry. It might get a little choppy. Once we're through the atmosphere, there should be just enough fuel to slow us down." He explains. "If we don't burn to a crisp." He adds.

"Mando!" Cordelia scolds, rubbing the Child's back as he coos worriedly. He quiets as he focuses on the manual re-entry. The alarm blares loudly as the ship heats and shakes.

"Come up here. I need your hands!" He says. The Frog Lady quickly gets up and moves forward to help him. "This lever needs to stay back. Can you do that?" He tells her. She agrees and grabs the lever. "Keep it steady. Here we go."

Cordelia spots the Frog Lady looking at her eggs worriedly as they shake in her seat. She leans over and holds them still, relieving the soon to be mother of her worry.

"Razor Crest, this is Trask flight control. Please reduce your speed to port protocol." The flight control worker says.

"I'm trying my best here." Din responds. "Engage reverse thrusters. Brace!" He says. The Frog Lady adjusts her stance, adding her hand with Cordelia's to hold her eggs in place. "Hold on." Din says. Cordelia holds the Child tighter and he grabs onto her fingers with all his strength. 

"Razor Crest, do you copy? You have to reduce speed." She says.

"Almost there, almost there." He says.

"Razor Crest, do you copy? Razor Crest, you're coming in too fast. You have to re-" The woman's voice cuts off as Din turns it off. He slows the ship and hovers above the port.

"Here we go. Nice and easy." Din says. There's a small explosion and the ship lurches, missing the platform and landing in the water.

They wait as the ship is pulled out of the water and set on the platform. They exit the ship, the Frog Lady in the lead, followed by Din, Cordelia, and the Child in his pram. One of the dock workers approaches Din.

"So, how can I help you?" He asks. Cordelia and the Child stop next to him.

"Can you fix it?" Din asks. The man looks over the ship.

"Fix it? Nah. But I can make it fly." He responds. Din places credits in his hand.

"Do what you can." He says. Din takes Cordelia's hand, and they follow after the Frog Lady. He keeps her close as they walk through the crowded port until they reach her. She shouts in Frog, looking around for her husband. After a few moments her husband responds, and she squeals as she rushes towards him.

Cordelia leans her head against Din's arm as they watch the reunion, and he squeezes her hand. He lets go of her hand and moves his to the small of her back as they walk towards the couple. The Child whines, looking at the eggs.

"I know you're hungry. We'll get you something to eat." Din tells him. Cordelia reaches her hand down and lets him grab her finger, her other hand moving to grab Din's. The Frog Man approaches Din, taking his other hand and shaking it. "You're welcome. I was told you could lead me to others of my kind." He says. The Frog Man nods and turns, pointing.

"The inn?" Cordelia asks, looking at where he points. He nods, then returns to his wife and eggs. They stand and lead the way, going their separate ways when they enter the inn.