Chapter 16

Avery's POV

It's Wednesday. It's been 4 days since I last saw Megan. We've been texting but she's been busy to meet up. She's meeting my dad in two days and I can't help but be nervous.

Today though, we have a meeting for her parents school and she hasn't showed up yet.

The past month that I've known her she's usually been on time for everything so I'm getting worried. I've been dodging the guy that we're supposed to be having a meeting with.

All a sudden my thoughts are interrupted when I hear the door to the building opening and Megan walks in.

She's wearing sweet pants and a long sleeve, totally not the kind of clothes you wear for a business meeting. When I went to her house and had to pick something from her closet basically all her pants were tailored pants.

Every time I've seen her outside she's had tailored pants on expect the first time that we met.

She spots me and quickly walks over to me. She looks exhausted like she hasn't slept in days.

"Where have you been and what are you wearing?" I question her.

"I'm so so sorry I can expl—"

"Later we're late for the meeting." I cut her off and say.

She frowns but doesn't say anything and follows me. We enter a room and sit down to start the meeting.

"Sorry Mr.Smith we can start the meeting now." I gesture for him to start.

We quickly talk about what steps we want to take to furniture the school and when we want to start hiring people.

Throughout the meeting I couldn't help but glance at Megan, when she's in businesses mode she is totally a new person.

The meeting is done quickly and we say our goodbyes and head out the door. Megan doesn't say anything until we're outside the building.

"Let's go to your car and we can talk about it there." I say and she just nods and takes us to her car. She's driving the Audi.

We both get in but no one speaks.

"My father has been on my ass about stuff and I was at the club last night until 4 am, sorry I slept in." Megan breaks the silence and says. I don't say anything and only look at her.

I can slightly see the tattoo she has on her collarbone. I wonder if she has any other tattoos? I quickly shake my head and try to focus again.

"You're working yourself too much." I finally say. "Do you really need to be at the club that late?" I question.

She sighs, "Joe got the flue this week so I've been doing everything on my own."

"You need sleep you look like a truck ran you over."

"I know but can I please get kisses now?" She asks which makes me laugh.

I grab her face and bring her lips to mine and give her a deep kiss.

"I missed you." Megan says when we pull apart.

"I missed you too." I confessed and pecked her lips.

"How's Olivia?" Megan questions.

"She's good, she keeps asking for you and she wants a dog."

Megan starts laughing, "I can't wait to see her Friday."

The car is silent after that and we're both looking at each other.

"Can I ask you a question?" I say and she nods.

"Why do you call your dad father?" I question.

I loot at Megan and see she tenses and looks down. Then she takes a deep breath and looks at me again.

"Because a dad is supposed to be there for you and love you no matter what, I guess with father I distance myself a little bit from him." She answers and I nod.

That makes a lot of sense, she's only called him dad in front of me like two times.

"Why has he been working you?" I ask.

"He thinks I'm being lazy and not helping him with the business which I don't even need to help I just do it because of my mom, anyways he's been sending me papers to look at and go over, I swear it's like two hundred pages." Megan says and sighs.

"Do you and your mom have a better relationship?"

"Yeah I don't see her often though my dad doesn't really let us see each other, the last time I saw her was at the event." She says which breaks my heart. I can't imagine not being able to see my mom for that long.

"Come here." I open my arms and wait for her to hug me. She quickly wraps her arms around me and hugs me tight.

Her head moves to my neck and she takes a deep breath. "You smell good." She mumbles in my neck which tickles me a little bit.

We pull apart and she pecks my cheek.

"Do you have anything to do for the rest of the day?" Megan questions and I shake my head no.

"You should go home and sleep." I say.

"Come with me."

"What?" I asked confused.

"Come with me to my house, when I fall asleep you can leave."

I take a moment to think. It will just be me and her which makes me nervous but she should fall asleep fast since she looks really tired.

"Alright okay but I can't stay long I need to pick up Olivia from daycare." I say and she nods.

"I brought my car so I'll meet you at your house." I add and get out her car and go towards mine.

I get in and start my car. Her house is not far from here so we get there quickly. She gets out her car and comes towards mine. She doesn't let me open my door and opens it for me.

We go in her house and go towards her living room.

"Have you ate anything today?" I ask her.

"No but I'm good." She responds and it looks like her eyes are closing.

"Why don't you sleep in your room?" I question her and sit down on the couch.

"Too much walking." She mumbles sleepy and lays down on the couch with her head on my lap which catches me off guard.

"Can you pass the blanket it's right next to you." She gestures towards the blanket and I grab it and she covers herself with it.

I put my hand in her hair and start slowly messaging it. She looks so cute right now all curled up into a blanket.

"Pleas don't break my heart." She mumbles all of a sudden half asleep.

"What?" I ask but she doesn't answer.

I look down to see her eyes are closed and her breathing is slow. She looks so beautiful.

I don't know what she meant by saying that but I would never intentionally hurt her.

I wait a few minutes to make sure I don't wake her up before I slowly move and put one of the cushions under her head.

I move to her kitchen to make her something for when she wakes up. When I open the fridge there's barely anything in there. I need to go take her grocery shopping and make her buy actual food.

She has eggs so I settled on making a quick omelette. I write a note for her to let her know I left it in the microwave.

Before I leave I go towards the living room again and quickly kiss Megan on the cheek. "Sweet dreams." I mumble next to her and go towards the door.

I use the spare key she gave me and lock her door. I get in my car and go towards Olivia's daycare.

I'm really nervous for Friday. My dad has been way more protective after Liam which is understandable. I really hope he doesn't scare Megan away.