Chapter 24

Megan's POV

"You should ask her." Joe tells me as I'm running around the bar making sure everything is okay.

"Why can't we have this conversation another time and you should be working." I say as I'm pouring someone their drink.

"Tomorrow would be the perfect time." He answers.

"Are you even listening to me right now? I swear I'll fire you."

"No you won't, you love me too much. Plus since I've met you, you haven't fired a single person." He says and I roll my eyes.

I step back and let him start pouring the drinks now. I wipe my hands with a towel and look at him.

"What if she says no?"

"Why would she say no, you guys both like each other."

"Isn't it too soon though? we've only been on like one date." I ask.

"Look at your best friend she asked Emma to be her girlfriend and they haven't known each other that long either so who cares, if you like her then ask her."

"Of course I like her, I'm just nervous." I inform him.

"How about I give you some tips." He says and I slap his shoulder.

"You're gay, which means you like guys so how would that help me?"

He just looks at me and rolls his eyes and continues helping the customers.

I want to ask Avery to officially be my girlfriend at the carnival tomorrow night but I'm nervous.

Like her dad said it won't be just one heart on the line it'll be two. With my past and what happened during the year I was gone, I'm nervous.

What if I can't do it? What if I break her heart? What if she breaks mine?

I wear my heart on my sleeve so I always get hurt. I trust people I shouldn't and I give second chances to people that don't deserve it.

I really like Avery though and I want this to work. I'm just gonna hope that everything goes well for the both of us.

On cue I hear my phone ringing and look to see it's her.

"Hey Aves."

"Hey sweetheart, what are you doing?"

"I'm at the club but I'm leaving soon, what about you?" I ask.

"I've been doing paper work for hours, we just got a big client."

"You sound tired, don't overwork yourself."

"I won't, I'm craving cheeseburgers so bad but I'm so tired I probably won't be able to get out of bed until tomorrow morning." She says laughing.

"Of course you are." I say and also laugh.

"Alright I'll let you be, I just wanted to hear your voice." She says.

"Alright, I'll see you later." I wait until she hangs up and then put my phone down.

I look at Joe to see him grinning at me which causes me to roll my eyes.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Oh nothing, you just looked like a child who just got candy the second she called."

"No I didn't shut up and I'm leaving I have to go do something."

"Is it Avery related?" He asks.

I don't answer him and just walk out. I hear him laughing behind me which causes me to also smile a little.

I get out of the club and go towards my car. I got the Porsche back but I've decided not to drive it for a while so I won't get tempted to go race so I'm driving the Audi.

I drive to the nearest fast food place and get Avery cheeseburgers and a milkshake. I also got a small milkshake for Olivia.

The drive to her house is short since it's a Tuesday night and everyone is mostly home. I hope she's not sleeping it's not that late it's around 9pm.

I get out of my car and grab the cheeseburgers and milkshakes and knock on the door. I hear footsteps and then the door opens.

"Ms.Woods, to what do I owe the pleasure?" Avery's Dad asks with an evil grin which makes me almost get a heart attack.

"Umm is Avery awake?" I ask

"Do you need something?"

"I brought her food she said she was craving cheeseburgers." I answer nervously.

How can one man look so scary?

"Mmm I see."

"Dad who's at the door?" I hear Avery say from behind him before he can say something else.

She walks to the door and her eyes widen when she sees me.

"Megan what are you doing here?" She asks and I hold up the food bags.

"Dad, can you please give us a second?" Avery asks her Dad.

"Of course honey, it was good seeing you again Ms.Woods" He says and reaches out to shake my hand.

I move the bags from my right hand to my left and shake his hand. Of course he squeezes hard and just smiles at me. He lets go and goes inside.

I sigh in relief and close my eyes for a second.

"What did he do this time?" Avery asks which causes me to open my eyes and she gives me a warm smile.

"Nothing I can't handle cute eyes." I say and kiss her forehead. "Is your dad ever gonna call me by my name though?"

"He says you have to earn it." She says and rolls her eyes and I nod.

Well if that's what it takes then okay. I will earn it for him to call me by my name. I'm not sure how though but I'll figure it out.

"Look at what I brought you." I gesture to the bags.

"You didn't have to sweetheart, I didn't mean for you to leave work."

"I wanted to and I was going to leave around that time anyways." I answer and she nods.

"I got you a milkshake too and I also got one for Olivia."

"Thank you so much and Olivia is sleeping so I'll give it to her tomorrow." She says.

I hand her the bags and she quickly takes them inside before coming out again.

"Do you want to come inside?" She questions.

"So your Dad can kill me? No thank you." I say and she starts laughing.

"I'm kidding but sorry I can't I have to go over some paperwork stuff at home." I add.

"How did it go with your dad? You never told me." She asks.

I've been avoiding answering that question.

"Oh nothing much, I managed to get called a disappointment only once." I tell her and she frowns.

"I know you're not ready to fully talk about the situation with your parents but I'm always here for you Megan, for anything. You can always count on me."

"I know beautiful." I say and give her a genuine smile.

"I really appreciate what you did tonight, thank you." She says and throws her arms around my neck and hugs me tight.

I take a deep breath and inhale her scent. I can smell her shampoo. I feel like my soul just calmed down.

"You should go inside it's getting cold." I tell her when we pull back.

"Alright, text me when you get home and drive safe." She says and pecks my lips.

I walk to my car and when she gets inside I go towards my house but quickly change my mind.

I need to get her something if I'm going to ask her to be my girlfriend tomorrow.