Chapter 23

Avery's POV

I hear something buzzing. I haven't slept this good in a while. I start stirring in my sleep and reach out to cuddle Megan but she's not there. I slowly open one eye to peak from under the covers so the sun won't blind me.

I move the covers away and look around to try to find the source of the sound. I look at the little table that Megan has in her room and see my phone is ringing.

I quickly get up and grab it. I look to see who it is and it's my dad.

"Hey Dad."

"Hi honey, why did you take so long to pick up?"

"Sorry Megan must have moved my phone last night before we slept." The second I say those words I immediately regret them.

"Wait wait you guys slept on the same bed?" My dad asks and the tone of his voice is cold now.

"Ummm I can't hear you there must be bad connection, I'll be home soon bye love you." I ramble out and quickly hang up.

I may or may not have just signed Megan's death certificate.

No it's okay she'll be fine.

I look back towards the bed to see that the lamp is still on which makes me smile. She didn't turn it off even though she woke up before me.

I hear voices downstairs so I do my morning routine and get changed quickly. I slowly walk down and it sounds like someone is on the phone.

I walk towards the kitchen and see Megan on the phone but she hasn't seen me yet.

"I said I'll be there." She says and hangs up.

She turns around and jumps a little.

"You have to stop sneaking up on me I'm gonna get a heart attack." She says and holds her chest. I can't help but laugh.

"Good morning to you too." I say and kiss her cheek.

"Where's everybody?" I ask her and move to look through her fridge.

"They left about 30 minutes ago, since tomorrow is Monday they wanted to rest or whatever." She answers and I nod.

"Who was that on the phone?"

"My dad, he needs me to go see him."

"You sound excited." I say sarcastically and she rolls her eyes.

"He makes me want to pull my hair out." She says and I laugh.

I close her fridge and turn back around to look at her.

"You do know you only have orange juice in your fridge right?"

"I like orange juice." She informs me and shrugs.

"Can you drop me off? We can get something on the way."

"Of course cute eyes you don't even have to ask." Megan says and gives me a quick kiss.

We both head upstairs to get ready. I didn't mention what I accidentally told my dad. What she doesn't know won't hurt her. I hope.

...

Megan's POV

Avery and I got bagels from a café and now we're on our way to her house. The car is silent but a comfortable silence. Avery is humming to the music and I can't help but be mesmerized by her.

"Olivia and I are going to a carnival on Wednesday, are you free to come with us?" Avery breaks the silence and asks.

"Yeah I would love to come, I can pick you guys up." I take a quick glance at her and she nods.