Chapter 38

Avery's POV

Two months later

I got called to work this morning and since my parents were out of town and couldn't make it back in time I dropped off Olivia at Megan's house. I just had to sign a few papers so it didn't take long.

I park my car in front of her house and get out. I use my key to open the door and take my shoes off.

"Megan?" I call out.

"I'm in the living room." I hear her yell and I make my way to her.

When I walk in I see her on her laptop with papers spread out on the table in front of her.

"Hey cute eyes, how was work?" She asks and slightly closes the laptop.

"It was good they just needed me to sign papers, where's Olivia?"

"Your parents came back early and picked her up. Your dad said there's this birthday party thing at her daycare so they're taking her there." She responds and I nod.

"You know he still doesn't call me by my name." She adds

I roll my eyes "Ignore him."

I move to go sit next to her but hear noises. It sounds like paws hitting the floor. I look towards Megan to see if she knows what the noise is and she quickly looks away.

"What's that noise?"

"What noise? I don't hear anything." She's avoiding eye contact.

I hear the noise getting closer to us and reach out to grab a cushion. I hold it in front of me and wait.

A few seconds later I see little legs coming into the living room and then I see the puppy. A golden retriever.

"You got a dog?" I ask surprised.

"A dog? What dog? I don't see anything."

"Megan I left you two alone for like three hours and you get her a puppy?"

She looks back at me and looks at the puppy.

"Oh look there's a dog in my house, we should keep it don't you think? It looks lonely."

"Megan." I groan and sit next to her.

"It's not my fault Olivia was looking at me with her big eyes and pouting. Was I supposed to say no?"

"Yes. Now she's gonna want to be at your house all the time." I reply.

"What's so bad about that, you two can move in."

To be honest we technically live here anyways. We're both here all the time so it wouldn't be a bad idea to make it official but we need to have a talk about it first.

Before I can respond to her the doorbell rings.

"Are you expecting someone?" I ask.

"Yeah my brother and the three musketeers found out I got a puppy. I mean I kind of called and told them so now they're here to see him."

"It's a boy?" I question and she nods.

She gets up and looks at me.

"I love you."

It will never get old hearing those words from her mouth.

"I love you," I reply. "But we will talk about this." I gesture to the dog.

She rolls her eyes and picks the dog up and puts it on my lap. Then she makes her way to the door.

I look down at the puppy and pet it.