Chapter 29

Avery's POV

It's Saturday and it's been exactly two weeks since I last saw Megan. It's been hell. I should have stayed. I should have talked to her.

She called 5 or 6 times in the first week but I just couldn't bring myself to answer. During the second week I didn't hear from her at all.

It's about 10 in the morning right now and I decided to go on a walk. I choose the path that goes across Megan's club because I just want to see if I can get a glimpse of her.

I don't see Megan but I do see Courtney outside the club talking to a women. I try to turn around and leave but she's already made eye contact with me.

"Avery, what a surprise." She says and walks towards me.

Is she going to go off on me for what happened with Megan?

"How are you and Olivia?" She asks breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Olivia is great and I'm as good as I can be." I answer.

Silence falls around us and I avert my eyes.

"You know it was Megans birthday last week." She suddenly says.

I gasp. No this can't be happening. Why did I do this. It was her birthday last week and I didn't celebrate it with her.

I take a deep breath and make eye contact with Courtney.

"I didn't know. What did you guys do?" I question.

"Nothing, she wasn't here."

"What do you mean not here?"

She looks back towards the club then back at me.

"Let's go talk inside, the club doesn't open for another few hours." I nod and let her go first.

We walk in and I see Joe organizing drinks at the bar. He sees us and gives us a smile and goes back to his work. We walk to sit at the bar.

Joe puts water in front of us and moves away from the bar and goes the other direction. It's just me and Courtney now.

"Where's Megan?" I can't help but ask.

"She's going through withdrawal." Courtney says as she takes a sip of her water.

"What do you mean withdrawal?" I ask.

"Well as Harper puts it she's going through Avery withdrawal. She's sick, grumpy and has barely left her house this week."

This is all my fault. I should have picked up her calls.

"Megan's grandpa passed away 6 years ago. Two days before her birthday, she left on the same day. She wasn't even here for the funeral."

"Is that why she wasn't here last week?" I question.

"She called me on the way to the airport and told me she's going to Paris. I'm guessing she went to see her brother. She's usually gone when his death anniversary comes around." She answers and I nod.

If you don't mind me asking what did you guys argue about?" She asks.

I avert my eyes and look around the club.

"Do you know why she was charged with assault? She told me it's not her story to tell." The second I say that Courtney stiffness next to me I look at her and see so many emotions flash through her eyes.

She doesn't say anything she's just looking at me. It looks like she's not even here with me.

"That idiot. She's always putting everyone else before her, I had a feeling it was about this and I just knew she wouldn't have said anything." She finally says.