Chapter 40

Avery's POV

I watch Kai take a seat on the couch and Megan just stands next to her. She looks at us for a second before she turns around and goes into the kitchen.

A few seconds later she comes back with a bottle of what looks like to be scotch and a red plastic cup. I've noticed that the only reason she has alcohol in her house is because of her friends.

"You're gonna need this." She opens the bottle and pours me a drink.

"Why did you only bring one cup?" I ask eyeing Kai. Obviously Hazel can't drink and I know Megan doesn't drink so Kai is the only one left.

"I don't drink, I've been sober for almost 6 years." Kai says.

I looks over at Megan confused. She also mentioned not drinking since like 5 years ago. I made a mental note to ask her about this.

"Hazey are you comfortable? Do you need me to get you anything?" Megan asks Hazel.

"No everything is good Meg." She answers and Megan nods.

"Where's the puppy?" I question.

Megan points to the bottom of the stairs and the puppy is sleeping curled up in to a ball.

Silence falls around us. Hazel and I are sitting next to each other and Kai and Megan are also sitting next to each other but opposite of us.

"Okay I'm just gonna say it to get it over with and then I'll give you a back story and you can ask any questions that you want." Megan breaks the silence and says. I nod and wait.

She glances at Kai and then at Hazel. They both nod and she takes a deep breath.

"Kaiisamafialeader."

"What?" I didn't hear a single thing she just said because of how quiet she said it.

"Kai is amafialeader."

"Kai is a what? I can't hear you."

"Oh for the love of god it's not that hard to say. My wife is a mafia boss." Hazel says and I suck in a breath.

Did she just say Mafia?

I look at Megan and you can clearly see how terrified she is of my reaction.

"Like an actual m-mafia leader?" I ask and curse myself for stuttering.

I made eye contact with Kai and she gives me a warm smile.

"She's not a bad person. It's not like the bad type of Mafia. We help people." Megan quickly says.

"We? What's your connection to this?" I question surprised.

"The law firm that Harper was talking about is Megan's. Kai sold it to her when they first met." Hazel informs me. She brings her hand to my knee and squeezes gently.

"That doesn't answer my question." I mumble and look at Megan.

"I run the law firm and ummm the law firm is kind of like a cover up for Kai. Through the law firm she can do anything she wants without anyone being suspicious of it. I'm her right hand person. Basically second in command." She whispers that last part but I still hear it.

I reach over and grab the plastic cup and down the scotch in one breath and pour myself more.

I made eye contact with Megan and there's concern ridden all of over her face.

"How did all of you guys meet?"

"Megan and I met at a bar. My dad had passed away and had passed down everything to me so I was drinking my sorrows away when Megan walked in and sat next to me." Kai says and looks at Megan.