Chapter 26

Megan's POV

I've been at the opening party of the school for about 3 hours now and I cannot wait to go home.

My parents cut the ribbon with the big scissor thing so the school is officially in business. We're at the after party right now.

I haven't really seen Avery, she had to come earlier and I didn't really see her during the ceremony.

"Can we leave?" Harper asks.

"Yes please." I look towards her.

"No we can't, just a little while longer." Courtney says.

"This is so boring and my dad is being way too nice which is extremely scary."

"Yeah I've noticed he's being extra nice today." Lily says.

I bring my attention towards the front and see my parent sitting at a table talking with other people. My mom makes eye contact with me and smiles. I return the smile and look around the room to try to find Avery.

I don't see her so I give up and bring my attention back towards my friends.

"Oh no don't turn around." Courtney says and quickly grabs my arm.

"What? Why are you holding on so tight?" I turn around to see what she's looking at and see Amelia's boyfriend Jack and Avery's ex Liam walking towards us.

Of course these two assholes know each other.

"If you do something I will leave you at the precinct and let you get arrested." Courtney warns me before they reach us.

"She's kidding, we can even help you fight." Lily informs me and Harper nods.

I go to respond to them but I hear someone clearing their throat and look to see that the both of them are standing next to my chair.

"How's life? What's your name again?" Liam points at me and pretends he's thinking.

"I don't know how's the nose?"

"Megan Woods, you look as good as ever." Jack says.

"Can't say the same about you buddy."

"Where's Avery? I haven't seen her." Liam says and I go to stand up but Courtney is holding on to me for dear life.

"Don't you dare say her name." I raise my voice.

"Why? Is she yours now? Come on we can share, she's always going to be mine either way."

I look at Courtney and plead with my eyes for her to let me go. She looks at me and slowly lets her hand go. I quickly get up and face the both of them which causes them to take a step back.

"She's no one's, not mine and definitely not yours. She's her own person."

"Whoa chill out Megan we're just messing around." Jack says.

"Shut up asshole, you're just a cheater. Amy will see your real side sooner or later." Lily says from behind me.

"Mmm how about we tell your dad about Avery. I'm sure he would love to know about your new girlfriend." Jack says looking towards my dad.

I look and see him still talking. My attention quickly goes towards the entrance of the room. I see Avery walking towards us and she looks furious.

"God can't even help you two now." I mumble and Avery reaches us.

She looks at Liam then at Jack. I look at her to make sure she's okay and she is. She comes and stands next to me.

"Hey baby, sorry I was taking care of some stuff." She says and grabs my hand.

"You're just in time for the show beautiful."

Liam takes a step forward and makes eye contact with Avery "Avery how are you? You look good."

I go to step in front of her but she squeezes my hand and I look at her to see that she's giving me a small smile.

"Your nose looks a little weird, did you break it?" She asks with the most innocent face. I hold back a laugh but Harper can't because she starts laughing so loud I'm sure everyone in this room can hear her.

Liam's hands are in a fist now, "don't speak to me like that you bitch."

I let go of Avery's hand and grab him by his shirt collar.

"You seem to have forgotten what happened the last time you called her that word. I can remind you if you'd like." He visibly gulps and tries to get free but I have a strong hold on him. He eventually gives up and looks at Jack.

Jack doesn't say anything and just takes a few steps back.

"You know what why don't you ask Jack when the last time he got a job was?"

All eyes are on Jack now but he shows no signs of answering.

"Well since he doesn't want to tell you I will. He made the mistake of also calling Avery that word and no one hires him anymore. Beating you up isn't the only thing I can do. Remember that the next time you want to speak like that to someone I care about."

Before I can say anything else from the corner of my eye I can see my Dad walking towards us so I let go off him and step back.

Avery also moves away from me a little.

"What's going on here? Is everyone having a good time?" My Dad asks and takes a quick glance at me.

"Everything is great Mr.Woods, this is my friend Liam. We came to donate to the school." Jack answers.

Like he has any money to donate.

"It's nice to meet you Mr.Woods." Liam says.

"Likewise."

"This is a great party Megan and her girlfriend sure know how to make things perfect." Liam adds.

My Dad quickly looks at me and I avert my eyes.

"Girlfriend?" My dad questions and I see both Liam and Jack smirking.

I look at Avery and she's giving me a sad smile. I really hope he doesn't fire her she doesn't deserve it.

"Yeah Ms.Bryant, they make a great couple."

"You, keep talking and I will cu—"

"It's fine Harper everything is okay." I turn around and say. She sighs and the three of them give me a small smile.

I turn back towards my Dad and I see him motioning for security guards. I brace myself to be kicked out.

Two bodyguards come towards us and wait beside my Dad.

"Can you guys please escort these two gentlemens out." He says and I am shocked.

"What? You're kicking us out and not her."

"Yes, my daughter is free to date whoever she wants and do whatever she wants. I don't appreciate you guys coming here and thinking that you can do any damage to our family." He tells them sternly.

He looks at me and that look of love is in his eyes. Has he finally come to his senses?

"I love my daughter and I couldn't be more proud of her. Ms.Bryant is a good women." He adds.

Both Jack and Liam are dumbfounded and the security guards drag them out. My dad takes a look at me and nods and goes back to my mom.

"D-did your dad just say all that stuff or am I dreaming?" Courtney asks.

I'm so confused. Did he suddenly have a change of heart? I can only think about one think that will help with my confusion.

"I need a strawberry milkshake."