A bit drunk and in love [Demi x Emily]

CW: Past child abuse, drunkenness

_____

A bit of dust there, a few used bandages and syringes to throw away there... The unused room of the mansion used as a clinic was finally clean after another long day of juggling between tending to the wounded survivors and participating in the games. Being one of the only people with some medical knowledge was unfortunately not easy, the woman sometimes received help from the young embalmer or the psychologist but their fields of expertise were still very different.

In any case, there was no point in moping about her fate, it was simply her duty then... Somehow, coming to the manor wasn't as horrible as one might think. Sure, they were imprisoned like rats in a cage but on the other hand, she had met many wonderful people and this place had become similar to what she could call a 'home'.

Very candid thoughts she had there and only she knew that all this was in fact an illusion. But maybe just for a little while, she would like to enjoy this dream.

A faint sigh escaped her lips and she threw her pair of gloves in the trash for a sanitary matter. Her hands then slid to the top of her head to remove her headdress, the hair tie holding her hair back afterwards, long, slightly wavy brown strands falling over her shoulders and reaching the base of her back. She turned off the light in the room and simply kept the lamp on her desk lit, sitting down to write in her journal as she did every night.

However, just as her pen was about to hit the paper, the office door opened with a bang and surprised her. Her brown eyes naturally turned to the entrance where they found a familiar figure coupled with a particularly strong smell of whiskey. A laugh reached her ears before coming closer as did the brown figure, the profile of another woman appearing under the light of the lamp and a bottle of wine crashing rather abruptly on the corner of the table. 

She glanced at the bottle of alcohol with a grimace before lifting her gaze to the young woman next to her, finding herself captivated by her wide smile for a second.

"Demi, have you been drinking with Jose again?"

"Mhm... He's probably out there eating the kitchen floor right now..." she said with a chuckle. "You should have joined us Em'~"

"Oh um, I'm not too comfortable with liquor..."

"That's what you say all the time! You should learn to relax a little, you work too hard!"

Emily laughed softly at Demi's enthusiasm as she displayed a pout. The latter then dropped her precious bottle of Dovlin to position herself behind the doctor's chair, then let her hands rest on her shoulders to massage them, putting just the right amount of pressure in her thumbs and the rest of her fingers.

"You're surprisingly good at this." she commented.

"Really? I've gotten better at it after several experiments on Sam, hehe..."

"Sam... He's your brother if I'm not mistaken...?"

Sam Bourbon, he wasn't exactly a stranger to the mansion as one of the first things the barmaid asked when she arrived was if anyone knew anything about him. Unfortunately, no one had heard his name and other than that, Demi didn't really talk about herself or her family despite her very outgoing nature. Emily couldn't deny that she was curious, but as one of the first people to arrive at the manor, she was well aware that everyone carried a heavy past and it was best not to fan the flames that were still crackling.

A moment of silence settled in the room and the brunette suddenly stopped moving her hands. The doctor had already noticed it earlier but her friend seemed quite calm tonight. It wasn't new but it was still rare and no matter how drunk Demi could look, one should know that the young woman was still capable of rationality.

"Do you want to know more?" she queried in a soft voice.

"I-I don't mean to pry-"

"I don't mind if you do, Emily."

The woman with brown pupils lowered her head slightly in embarrassment, feeling her cheeks heat up and her stomach twist strangely. The barmaid pretended not to notice the brunette's reaction and grabbed one of the doctor's long locks, kissing it furtively before releasing it.

"Actually, Sam isn't my brother. My mother adopted him when we lived in the slums."

"The slums..."

"Surprising?"

"S-Sorry-"

Demi burst out laughing before bending down and putting her arms around Emily's shoulders with a smile.

"It's nothing, I wouldn't mention it if I wasn't comfortable."

The doctor smiled faintly as she heard that the barmaid trusted her enough to tell her a part of her story that might bring back bad memories.

"Getting back to Sam, even though we are not related by blood, I still consider him my precious older brother!"

"You must miss him a lot..."

"Mhm, I do and even now I still wish to find him. Our bond is very strong because of the trials we went through together, it was very different before though."

"How so?"

The corner of Demi's lips lowered a little and she buried her face in the crook of the doctor's neck, seeming unsettled for a brief moment but she soon regained her composure and resumed her story.

"At first... I hated him. I hated a lot of things back then to be honest. Sam, my mom... See those strands?" She paused to lift two white locks from her face before placing her hand back on Emily's shoulder. "I was more of a feverish type when I was younger and everyone thought I would die during the winter. I'm stronger now but back then, I don't know why, she would sometimes raise her hand to me and mention those locks. For a while I thought she brought Sam home because he didn't have any flaws like me so that's why I hated him."

"I-I don't know what to say... I'm sorry to hear that..."

"I appreciate your feelings but it was a common thing on the streets, you had to fight to survive and sometimes the pressure makes you delusional. I hated her but I also loved her because even though I often ended up with bruises and scratches, she didn't reject me. I thought about going to a doctor to get treatment because of my weak body but those things cost an arm and then those people stare and look down on you just because you're from the slums so I hated them too."

"Sorry."

"Why are you apologizing? None of this is your fault." she said in a calm voice.

"I know that, but... I can't help but feel guilty as a member of the medical corps."

"That's what I love about you, Emily."

The barmaid suddenly withdrew her arms and the doctor turned in her chair to get a better look at her, but she only saw two white strands before she felt a pair of full lips rest against hers. Her cheeks turned bright red as she saw two green pupils looking at her with passion but she didn't move away from the embrace and instead placed the palm of her hand on the young woman's cheek.

Demi sketched a smile against her lips before licking the lower one with evil eyes and then moving back slightly. Her long fingers once again taking another of Emily's curls and twisting it.

"D-Demi..."

"You don't judge others Em'. You're full of kindness and compassion, you don't hesitate to help others in their time of need. You say it's your job but I know it's not just that."

"I don't deserve so many compliments..."

"I don't think so but if that's what you think, why don't you take responsibility and take care of me from now on? I'm not as weak as I used to be but you never know when it might relapse~"

The barmaid leaned in a little more with a smile but it was the doctor who closed the space between their mouths again in response, her arms then sliding behind her neck to draw her closer. That night, in the clinic, they shared a long, languid kiss that still had the sweet aftertaste of alcohol.