Under the Rain [Naib x Emily]

Modern AU

Mr.Inference x Rhythm of the Rain

___

It was a rainy day, the end of autumn was approaching and the temperatures were dropping even further to make way for winter, even though Londoners were already used to it. It had been raining for a good week, so Inference had his umbrella with him. The cobbled roads were half flooded and the sound of the drops crunching on the tarmac to form puddles sounded like a distant fanfare in his ears.

What perfect weather for a reunion of his college alumni. Inference wasn't really the type to go to events like this but Truth had forced him to go on the grounds that he was working too much and needed to get some fresh air.

"Excuse me..." A female voice snapped him out of his reverie and he turned his eyes, coming face to face with a familiar face, of course, how could he have forgotten it. The young woman was dressed in a yellow mackintosh the same colour as her umbrella. She smiled brightly and tucked a lock of hair back behind her ear before continuing in a cheerful voice, "I knew it! You really haven't changed a bit since the last time we saw each other! Ah- Forgive me, I got a bit carried away, do you remember me? Emily Dyer, we were in the same class."

He remembered as if it had all happened yesterday. She always seemed to be the centre of attention, not in a bad way, she was like the ray of sunshine illuminating those dark lecture halls, she was definitely the most honest and brightest person amongst all the scoundrels driven by competition and success.

"I know. It's been a while." he said with a faint smile.

"I suppose you're on your way to the meeting?"

"That's right, but I'm reconsidering it."

"R-Really?"

There was a hint of disappointment in her voice but Inference wasn't sure why. They had never really spoken during their studies, and while she had no trouble surrounding herself with a crowd of friends, he preferred to play the lone wolf.

Their relationship was no more different than mere acquaintances.

"It's not like I had any sort of interaction with them before so I don't think I would fit in-"

"I think you're wrong-" Inference widened his eyes when Emily suddenly interrupted him and the latter seemed to notice this as her cheeks pinkened at the statement, "Er- I mean, you've always been a good student, what are you up to now?"

The change of subject was a little awkward but Inference simply went with the flow.

"I've opened a detective agency."

"Oh, so you help people in need! That sounds a lot like you." she chuckled.

She was the first to think so.

"You've always had an optimistic outlook, Emily. My colleagues often say I'm bitter, perhaps if I'd spent more time with you that wouldn't have been the case." he replied in a light hearted tone.

"Well... it's never too late to start, don't you think?" Inference raised an eyebrow. "Come to the meeting, even if you don't talk to the others, you can still talk to me and catch up."

Inference pondered the question for a moment.

"If you insist."

His heart missed a beat when he saw Emily smile so sweetly at him, and he couldn't help thinking that she was as beautiful on the outside as she was on the inside. Inference avoided crowds most of the time, but that night her presence made him forget everyone around them.