Gray Picture [Edgar x Aesop]

Tw: Cut, blood

___

The main color was... gray.

Anthracite gray. Ash gray. Silver gray. It was like a monochrome firework. He didn't need a model, he knew all his features by heart. From the gray strands shadowing his long eyelashes to his passive gaze akin to a corpse. Every stroke of his brush was drawing a part of this face he knew so well.

This portrait he was making was so he could never forget him.

He didn't remember when he started but it was already nightfall at that moment. There was just one detail left. The painter looked around the mess of his room and picked up a silver knife from the ground. Aesop had convinced him to stop his antics in the past but just for this time, he would break his promise.

Well, the embalmer had broken his first.

He made a cut not too deep on his thumb, flinching at the pain, a searing red drop forming on his skin. One drop fell on his coat but soon disappeared into the velvet fabric of the same color. Was it a sign that what he did was wrong? Whatever. He would be done in an instant. 

Slowly and carefully, his thumb smeared his blood to paint his red lips. Just a little was enough.

"Perfect."

He straightened up on his stool to take a better look at the portrait. It was as if it could become alive and get out of the frame at any time. The painter sketched a smile as his fingers grazed the side of the canvas before gripping it forcefully, not caring about the paint getting on his nails. His expression finally broke down into a deep frown.

"Disgusting."

It was disgusting. He was disgusting. Everything was disgusting.

"He won't come back."