Drunk in Sorrow [Joseph x Mary]

Writing too much smut for kinktober rn I need to do smth else, anything fr 🛐

_____

Hangover x Amethyst Duchess

____

The smell of wine reeked in the room, but that was not surprising when one noticed the pile of glass bottles strewn about the floor, scattered in all directions, some of them having rolled under the furniture after being jostled by others. The chimney fire crackled faintly, just enough to light the room and the burgundy liquid in its chalice, this one moving like peaceful waves due to the tilts brought by his wrist.

A smile was drawn on his lips and his eyes seemed lost in the clouds. His hair was not even combed and was simply left like that, resting on his shoulders. Just by seeing the dried wine stains on his half-open shirt and the way he was slumped on the velvet armchair, one could deduce quite easily that the young man had been looking like this for quite some time.

However, the blond was brought out of his trance when the door was opened without even knocking, and he was about to get angry at the person who was lacking in manners but he refrained by gulping sideways a mouthful of his wine as he discovered the figure of a young woman with brown hair and black eyes so dark, nearly like the very personification of her disappointment.

The noblewoman stepped forward waving her fan under her nose in disgust, the long skirt of her purple-hued dress trailing behind her.

"My dear friend, it's time for you to collect yourself," she said in a firm, strict voice. "It has been a month since you have been in this state."

"Duchess Mary..."

"Look at you now, Desaulniers, you resemble a drunk beggar who has just been thrown out of a casino."

"Why bother with a Count whose house is in decline...?" he asked with a bitter laugh.

Joseph rose from his chair, staggering to the window before slumping against the sill and observing the snowy landscape outside. The duchess watched her friend do so sadly before letting out a sigh and picking up one of the empty bottles to place it back on the table.

"Count or king, you are still a close friend."

"How fortuitous..." he said as he emptied the bottom of his glass in one gulp, then reached for an already opened wine from Bourgogne that had been left there, presumably by himself. "Did you only come to lecture me?"

"Yes and no, I came to see how you were doing." she replied as she settled into the seat where the Count had previously sat, "And I can see that nothing has changed since then."

"Nothing will ever be the same again..."

There was a heavy silence before Joseph returned to the chair where Mary was, kneeling at her feet as he grasped her hands gently between his, the corners of his lips trembling as he did so.

"Joseph..."

"You understand me, don't you? The pain of losing a loved one, losing a part of yourself..."

He squeezed the duchess's hands a little tighter, lowering his face to bury it against her skirt. The facade that he tried so well and badly to keep was slowly collapsing and the young woman simply remained silent while the fabric of her gloves became wet.

"Yes."

Indeed, someone close to her had also disappeared all those years ago. Unfortunately, because of her position as duchess, Mary was far too busy with the matters of her territory and in a way, this allowed her not to suffer too much from her grief. Having gone through the same thing, she could only sympathize with Joseph's sorrow.

The Count had been her childhood friend since they were very young and she had known his brother at the same time. This one being of a fragile constitution, the older brother often had to stick to his role of eldest and take care of the youngest.

However, who would then take care of him?

He was the only one left, or nearly so.

When the last member of his family left him, Mary made the decision to take on this responsibility.

Her comfort may never ease his pain, but as long as she was by his side, Joseph would always find a place to turn to if he was looking for a home.

____

I would almost tear up