Your Guide [Fiona x Emily]

Guide x Yesterday

_____

"I was almost sure it was this way..."

The young woman pushed the branches in her way with one hand, the other holding the hem of her azure dress now in tatters, what a shame as it was still brand new.

Unfortunately, there was no point crying over spilt milk now as she had bigger problems on her hands.

Having been invited to a reception for her cousin's wedding, the young miss of the Dyer ducal house had wandered away from the rest of the crowd to get some fresh air, deciding to explore the endless expanse of the house's garden.

Only, not sure how this was possible, Emily found herself lost somewhere in the woods, a deep forest stretching as far as the eye could see.

The sun was beginning to set as concern grew within her, her lady-in-waiting must have been worried sick by now when she realized she was missing.

Suddenly, the ground gave way under her feet as if she was about to fall, preparing herself for the worst, the young woman shut her eyes. Nevertheless, after several seconds without feeling any shock, her eyelids opened to discover a field of daisies under her eyes.

"How..."

The scenery was certainly impressive, but Emily mostly wondered how she had not seen this place earlier given its eccentricity.

It was almost as if she had been transported to another place.

But that couldn't be the case...?

"Greetings, honored visitor."

"Oh dear-!"

Her heart leapt as she heard a voice whisper in her ear and she immediately stood up to confront whoever was there.

She calmed down slightly as she discovered a young woman who appeared to be in the same age range as her, but her palpitations still remained despite this.

"Oh, poor lady, sorry to have surprised you."

The stranger smiled sweetly and Emily couldn't help but find the latter's attire particularly... unconventional.

Her hair was as green as a tree's foliage and her clothes strongly resembled the kind of attire that fairies and spirits had in storybooks, besides two horns adoring the top of her head, were they real...?

"W-Who are you?" stammered the young noblewoman.

"May the lord of the forest forgive my lack of manners," she said followed by a reverence, "I am the guide of the forest but I am also called Fiona."

Lord of the forest? Guide? Everything that came out from her lips sounded simultaneously rational and unreal.

"P-Pleased to meet you? I'm Emily Dyer."

"A lovely name for an equally charming damsel." added Fiona with squinted eyes.

"P-Pardon?" stuttered the concerned woman with crimson cheeks, "Ahem, Fiona, would you by any chance know the way back to the mansion?"

For a moment, the forest guide's eyes widened, her mouth forming an 'O' which she hurriedly covered with her hand as if she had forgotten something.

"Strange... This is definitely the first time a human being has managed to get through the barrier..." she muttered in an almost inaudible voice.

"Hm?"

"My apologies, I got lost for a moment." She resumed with another smile, "Of course, please follow me..."

Fiona then pointed the way with her arm and Emily hurried to follow her.

Surprisingly, it only took a few minutes of walk before the two young women found themselves at the entrance to the forest, right across from where the now finished reception was taking place.

It was closer than she thought it would be. Had she been walking in circles this whole time?

"There you go, dear one."

"Thank you so much...-"

"Miss!" a youthful voice called out.

Emily turned to the familiar cry, stumbling upon her lady in waiting running up to her.

She had almost forgotten about this fact, the young woman didn't want to worry the latter even more but she just wanted to thank her benefactor one last time but the former was simply nowhere to be found as she looked around.

Fiona had vanished into thin air.

"Miss-!" the maid repeated breathlessly.

"Emma!"

Emily smiled at the freckled girl.

"Where have you been! Everyone's been looking for you- oh my God! What happened to your dress?!"

Emma's complexion had turned as white as a sheet, and Emily could think of nothing to say in response but an awkward laugh.

"Let's just say it's a long story..."

"We better hurry up inside! Your father and cousin have been worried sick!"

"Coming, coming..."

Emily followed Emma's footsteps as she forcefully pulled her along by the hand.

She took one last look at the forest before leaving, wondering if everything that had happened was real or not.

Whether it was or not, one thing was certain: the memory of Fiona would remain firmly anchored in her mind...