Look Away [Norton x Aesop]

"How could someone mess up so badly?"

"He behaves way too selfishly."

"Campbell! Why didn't you rescue?!"

The dark-haired man made his way through the corridors of the mansion, not looking anyone in the eye even if someone tried to speak to him. It was just a waste of time anyway, each of them always repeated the same thing, the same speech, the same reproaches. Their contemptuous looks were all the same. Of course, he knew he was wrong, but the others should also take a look at themselves in the mirror. Everyone was here to pay the price for their sins after all, even those with the most innocent looks. No one was completely white.

He... The result of his coming here was not what he expected.

He probably wasn't the only one who was fooled by pretty promises but that didn't stop him from loathing himself for being so stupid.

What gold, what glory, it was all bullshit.

"Campbell, I'm sorry to come to you like this but... Do you think you would be able to make an effort to cooperate with the others?"

Norton looked at the doctor with a deadpan expression, without answering. After a few seconds like that, his imposing height finally intimidated the latter who left with a sigh. He rolled his eyes to the sky before resuming the pace, in the direction of his room. However, as he stopped in front of his door to look for his key, he noticed that the embalmer had returned to his at the same time, their eyes meeting. A shiver ran down his spine. Meeting Carl was always a... peculiar experience. The man spoke even less with the others with a few exceptions and he always disappeared immediately as soon as the match was over, sometimes making it seem like he was nothing more than a mirage.

"Say it if you have something to say."

The raven eyed man did not wish to sound so guarded but the way the other was staring at him was irksome.

"I'm sorry if I offended you."

"What- No-" Norton really couldn't figure out what could be going through the embalmer's head. However, the latter looked away to his door handle as he frowned. Maybe he wasn't so insensitive after all. "The others only come to me to complain, don't you?"

"N-not at all. Not everyone is perfect at this game and you seem to have your reasons." This was new, Carl was probably the only one here who talked about this hell as a 'game', as if he was making light of the situation. Norton didn't find it off-putting anyway, even... interesting for once. "This is probably presumptuous of me but... If you ever want to talk about it... You know where my door is."

The embalmer opened his door with those words before disappearing into the embrasure. Norton did the same and was surprised that he couldn't help but let out a chuckle at what had just happened. All their efforts seemed to be in vain in this mansion, but perhaps all was not as gloomy as the picture he had portrayed.