First Impression [Norton x Aesop]

Soulmates AU

___

Ever since humans were able to communicate and form bonds, soulmates had become an endless trend. From TV shows to random adwares on the web, it was just everywhere. So much for one word or a sentence written on your wrist telling your soulmate's feelings about you, most often being curiosity, yearning, and similar cheesy stuff.

Norton Campbell didn't think much of it at first. He was a free spirit who didn't like to be tied to an unknown person called his soulmate, everyone around him gave a lot of meaning to that word but it didn't sit right with him to waste his time over the matter. Wait one day or perhaps a decade for some fantasy? That will be without him. He enjoyed his life as it was, surrounded by pipsqueaks who fawned over his looks, partying and other things students did.

He liked his peaceful life.

However, this was before he woke up one day and noticed a word written on his wrist as if it were a kind of tattoo, he tried to rub it off in vain. This has never happened before, there has never been anything written on his wrist so he thought that maybe he was an exception to the rule and he didn't have any soulmate or maybe they died- But it all turned out to be one big fake lie which made him hate that soulmate thing even more. Did he meet someone new recently? What did he even do? Why the fuck-! Why was FUCKTARD written in bold on his wrist!

Now, let's try to remain composed. Norton tried to recall what he did yesterday, he went to college as always, went to classes, the cafeteria, talked with some friends, then for once decided to go straight home. This could only mean, his soulmate was most likely a student going to the same university, and it would be impossible to find them as there were more than thousands of people going in and out and from different departments-

That morning, Norton thought hard of a plan. Maybe there was a way... A ridiculous idea but it was the single one he had.

"What are you doing Campbell?"

A blonde girl stopped in her tracks in front of the campus' gates. She was somewhat of a childhood friend to Norton and her name was Alice DeRoss. She raised her eyebrow and it was understandable, because it was really weird to see Norton leaning against the gate and glaring at each person passing as if he were looking for a fight.

To answer her, Norton flipped up his sleeve and showed her his wrist. Alice tilted her head to read what was written when she burst into laughter.

"It's not funny."

"I'm sorry but it is." She calmly said after inhaling deeply. "Looks like karma caught up to you, and before you say anything, I don't think flirting right and left like you do is very well perceived. I can already guess what was your plan when I see you dumbly standing here but what are you gonna do when you find them?"

Norton frowned, he didn't think so far to be honest. The most logical thing to do would be apologising to his soulmate, try to talk it out, getting to know each other better and live happily ever after, but that stupid romance movie scenario gave him goosebumps.

The truth was, he had no plan.

Alice quickly saw it in his eyes and let out a sigh before tapping him on the shoulder, a sympathetic smile on her lips.

"I don't know if your idea will work, but good luck to you," she said.

She left shortly afterwards. Norton was a little surprised that she was more friendly than usual, but at this point he accepted her encouragement without complaint; he really hoped that what he was doing would not be in vain.

He spent at least half an hour staring at every student who passed by and it seemed to work because most of them seemed intimidated and hurried to get out of his field of vision, unfortunately the letters on his wrist were always the same, indicating that he still hadn't found the one he was looking for.