Flying to You [Anne x Emily]

I got this idea at 2am last night and I don't even think the ship exists but anyway

____

Historical AU

____

"Annie!"

The girl ran toward her friend who sat on the grass. Her skirt was covered with mud and her knees were red due to the bruises.

"E-Emi-..." whimpered the blonde.

"Ah- Don't touch it! Wait for a second..." Emily took out a handkerchief from her pocket to wrap it around the wound tightly with a knot. "All done. Let's head back to the mansion to have the nanny treat it now."

"What if she scolds me though..."

The brunette gave her a soft and reassuring smile, almost unbefitting of a ten-year-old.

"Don't worry, I'll be here for you."

Annie hesitantly took Emily's hand with a sheepish smile. The two young girls returned to the big house after that. Annie obviously received a mandatory lecture on how noble ladies should behave as her best friend stood beside her with an apologetic face.

"It took so long-!" complained the blonde as she dropped all her weight on the canopy bed of her room.

"Be careful or you'll hurt yourself again-"

"You're such a worrywart, Emi." she giggled.

"And you're too reckless."

"You sound like my mom."

"What-!"

Annie launched a cushion at the brunette's face with a devilish laugh but it was not until long before Emily threw it back at her. The pillow fight lasted quite some time and they were scolded again for making a mess out of their appearance. Thus after changing dresses once again and having dinner, they both laid on the huge bed together, the candle dimly lighting up the room.

"Annie, you shouldn't do such dangerous things... What were you even trying to do?"

"Flying!"

"Fly-...?"

Sparkles lit up in the blonde's eyes.

"The sky is so vast... There's just so much to discover out there! I want to be able to create something in the future which could bring as much amazement to me as to other people."

"Then I guess I'll have to become a doctor to take care of you every time you make a mistake." she chuckled. 

"It was a test-!" replied Annie with rosy cheeks. "However, Emi..." she resumed with a lower tone, "That means you would have to leave for the capital..."

They may be nobles but they were still small ones living in the countryside. Emily would have to leave no matter what since there was not enough medical material here for her to learn anything.

"It would take some time indeed, but this will always be my home."

"You must promise to come back-!"

"Of course."

Emily grasped her hand as she closed her eyes. The day had been rather eventful and tiredness won over the two young girls.

The next morning, as she woke up, Annie found herself alone.

She would later find out that Emily had received a recommendation letter from the royal institution teaching doctors, the most prestigious of all, so her parents came early to pick her up.

It was the last time Annie saw Emily.

Ten years passed after that day.

The reckless blonde girl had become a beautiful woman though her impulsive personality did not change much in contrast.

"This time... I'll succeed."

Anne braced herself as she held tightly onto her glider on top of the estate's tallest oak tree, ignoring her servants' pleas. Today, she was going to fly. She inhaled deeply then finally stepped into the void. She broke quite a few bones in the past but her invention had evolved greatly over time and she was confident. Her feet left completely the tree branch and she fell.

It felt like hanging on a loose rope but after a soft breeze brushed against her face, she slowly opened her eyelids to the appealing scenery unfolding. A clear blue sky without clouds and a large overview of the manor.

"I-I did it-!"

She safely flew downward but the abrupt landing made her lose her footing and her face came to slam into the grass. She groaned in pain but a soft chuckle reaching her ears caught her breath. Anne lifted her head and blushed deeply as she found a familiar face smiling at her.

"You never change, do you? I'm glad I arrived in time to witness your achievement."

The brown-haired woman took a leaf off her hair and then helped her up, their hands still linked even when Anne could stand on her own feet.

"W-Welcome back-! Emily-!"

"I'm back, Anne."