The "Prisoner" and the Embalmer [Luca x Aesop]

At first, Aesop truly hated Luca.

He couldn't bear this man and his arrogance at all and honestly wanted him to shut up. When he kept talking about incomprehensible scientific things that absolutely no one understood... When he pestered others before, during and after a match about how his connections work or whatever, the embalmer tried not touching these things, not really comfortable with machines.

For Aesop Carl, Luca Balsa was no more than a fool.

Everyone in the manor was aware of that so it was surprising when the two men started getting closer, Aesop the first one.

As a man who relied on knowledge and rationality, Luca remained unfazed about Aesop's profession which revolved around the dead. Instead, he even showed interest towards his job and would sometimes ask him questions that the gray-haired man answered as best as he could despite not having a fluid speech like the other.

Just like that, they slowly started to get along more and Aesop could somewhat endure Luca's endless lectures on any subject that came through his mind.

Because of this, Luca really seemed like the fresh breeze of spring blowing after the snowstorm known as the embalmer. Then as if to pursue and hang onto it, Aesop began to see Luca differently. His eyes would search for him whenever he entered the living room and sometimes he unconsciously embalmed him during matches when it was not even needed.

He himself was shocked by his behavior which didn't go unnoticed by his brown-haired friend.

"Is everything alright 'Sop? You haven't touched your book since we came to the library." asked Luca with a concerned look.

"Sorry, I was lost in thought for a moment."

"Quite a long moment then, it's been half an hour already." Luca chuckled as he got closer to where Aesop sat and took the book laying in front of the embalmer to inspect it. "Pride and Prejudice... Isn't that a romantic fiction? I didn't know you were into that stuff. I'm not judging though."

"Pride and what-"

Aesop quickly grabbed the book from Luca's hand to check it as well, his face turning a bright red when he saw the title. He didn't remember taking this book from the shelf, was he that much in the clouds?

"Alright, putting aside your taste in literature, how about you tell me what's wrong?"

"That's..." Tell him what? The mess his mind had been in for the last few days for an unknown reason? No, truth to be told, he probably knew better than anybody else what that strange feeling was but he didn't have the courage to admit it. "Will you hate me if I tell you why?"

Luca's eyes widened and he crossed his arms on his chest, deep in thought.

"Unless you did something horrible enough for me to despise you, there's no reason I would. But then I can't know if you say nothing." 

"I... don't think I wish to be your friend anymore."

"What do you mean- Am I the one who did something wrong instead-?"

Despite his knowledge, Luca wasn't really the most suitable to manage relationship situations.

"I don't mean it in a bad way though." quickly replied Aesop.

"Is there any good way to understand what you just said...?"

The embalmer was tugging slightly on the fabric of his gloves as his gaze fell on the side, his cheeks pink. However, he would never get anywhere if he kept brooding so with what little confidence he could gather, he lifted his gray eyes to the prisoner, looking him right in the eye.

"I want to be more than that."

"You really came straight to the point huh..."

Now it was Luca's turn to feel flustered. The man had put his hand over his mouth to hide a crooked grin before crouching down in front of the embalmer.

"Luca...?"

"I have to admit this isn't what I expected."

"I'm sorry if I made you worry..."

"Nah, don't worry. Still, about your confession... I'm not against it."

"Really?"

"If I said so."

Aesop's gaze lightened up to his answer. Did it mean that Luca also felt like butterflies fluttering in his stomach? Knowing this relieved the embalmer who couldn't be happier than now.

"Thank you."

"What are you thanking me for?" he replied with a smirk. "Since you took the initiative to do the first step, I am obliged to repay you a hundredfold."

"Y-You don't have to go that far."

"I'll do it slowly just for you." Luca finally lowered his hand to reveal a loving smile as he reached out to intertwine his fingers with Aesop's. "Is it alright if I start like that?"

"It feels... nice."

Even though they both wore gloves, this single touch gave Aesop the impression that his hand was burning in warmth but it wasn't a bad thing. He tightened the grip as a smile appeared behind his mask.

The two of them were not really familiar with this but they could probably get better at it with some time.