Underworld [Luca x Aesop]

Demons AU

____

Far from the eyes of mortals, in another dimension that can only be crossed by stepping into the realm of the dead... Creatures of all shapes and sizes lived in harmony, or rather, in a cooperative manner. These beings with unearthly powers were called demons. Of course, any community had one or more leaders. For the latter, it was a matter of several clans, each with its own field of expertise, to whom a region had been assigned.

Leaving them unattended would be too dangerous, however, so to ensure that order prevailed, a meeting was held every five thousand years between each clan leader. It was more of a formality, it would be too much to ask that all the clans could get along, but it was at least used to ease tensions by partaking in a feast.

In any case, this year was going to be more special than the others. For the first time in several millenniums, one of the clans had warned that they would finally send their leader. For some obscure reason, the last few times the gathering was held, the leader never showed up and always sent one of his minions.

"You... must be the leader of the clan of healers if my guess is correct."

And it could only be, since he already knew the faces of the other leaders. Luca had been around for... who knows how long but he was part of the older demons here. However, the leader of the healers clan had been appointed even before him, meaning he either was even older than him or had some kind of monstrous power that could scare a demon and promote him to such a spot.

"Indeed."

"Not much of a talker, I see." Luca scratched his cheek before suddenly leaning over the gray-haired demon. His arm easily wrapped around the latter's waist as he held the man's chin, a sly smile drawn on his face. "May I ask for your name?"

"...Call me Aesop."

The gray-haired one seemed unfazed by Luca's behavior but that only peaked his interest even more. His eyes were a clear gray that he had never seen before, it was a feature exclusive to their leader apparently. It was such a pretty gray though.

"I like your eyes, don't you think we could make a perfect match?" Luca's eye which wasn't hidden by an eyepatch glowed in a vibrant red for a second. "They look just like the two moons of the underworld."

"If you need my services I can perhaps give you a discount."

"Ha ha ha!"

Aesop was funnier than he was letting it show. It was Luca he was talking to, after all. His clan may have been known for being full of eccentrics, but in terms of raw power, they were probably at the top of the ladder. Aesop's clan was somewhat his opposite, in that their strength was in their abilities rather than in muscles. Indeed, even demons could get hurt, and the fact that those who could treat such injuries were rare made the healer clan far more influential than one might think.

"Could you let go of me now...?"

"Ah, sorry sorry, I got a little carried away." he apologized, laughing heartily. "This is the first time we've had the honor of meeting so I was more excited than usual." Luca released Aesop, or at least partially, his deft hands slid down his arm before bringing the man's hand to his lips to place a kiss on it. "May I ask what made you change your mind? Regarding your attendance, I mean."

Aesop gave Luca an expressionless look before withdrawing his hand. It was hard to tell what he was thinking with that veil hiding half his face.

"I just thought I should at least make an appearance."

That was half true and half false. One of his clan members had simply annoyed him long enough about it that he deigned to come. To be even more honest, the reason he hadn't stayed in his home today was simply because he didn't want to hear any more about it there.

"Is that really all?"

"You think you know more than I do?"

"I wouldn't dare..." he laughed. "Anyway, you must be unfamiliar with the place since this is your first time here. Why don't you let me guide you during your stay? We could also get to know each other better at the same time."

Aesop looked at Luca from head to toe while considering his proposal. Normally, he was not one to mingle with others, in fact his original intention was to remain in his loneliness until the end of the reception. However, his ears were still ringing from all the nagging he'd had to listen to, so a bit of fresh air wouldn't go amiss to take his mind off things.

"Why not, though..." He tugged sharply on Luca's sleeve, causing him to stumble forward slightly, a faint breeze lifting Aesop's veil to reveal a petty smile hidden beneath. "You'd better mind your manners if you don't want any surprises in your sleep."

Despite his doll-like appearance, Aesop was still a demon.