Chapter 9

Manon has been sitting in the main hall of the police station for two hours, it was half past four in the morning, and they already took her statement about what happened. In her opinion, this seemed extremely exaggerated. Finally, the officer in charge appeared, a man, around 50 years old with a good belly and a mustache that gave him a certain good"natured impression. Smiling, he called her name out.

"Miss Bacci'"

Manon sat up a little frightened, hoping they wouldn't put any impediment, one could never possibly know how police was going to act, it depended more on their mood than on their sense of justice. The sheriff looked at her seriously, Manon wondered where the smile from before had gone.

"Your brother will be out in a few minutes, without a record it is easier," he added. In front of him on the counter, there were different forms, apparently each one corresponded to each detainee.

"And my cousin?" the words flowed before she could avoid them, she didn't want to leave him there.

"Who is your cousin, Miss?"

"Numa ...." she dropped the name hoping and praying he wouldn't ask her for her last name.

"Ah yes, here it is," he answered shaking one of the forms  "Lund, Numa."

"Do you think he can come out now as well?" 

"It is complicated, the boy has a record, it is necessary for the legal guardian to come."

"Yes, officer, but when the fight happened he was under my charge. I am responsible, and this is all my fault."

The officer looked at her for a few moments unconvinced.

"Is there anything I should sign or any fine I should pay?" added she thinking that if it was money he was after, the hook was set.

Leon appeared at that moment through the door. He certainly looked awful.

Manon approached him, the truth is that she felt a little sorry for him.

"How are you?"

"How do I look..." replied Leon.

He shrugged his shoulders as no answers were needed.

The officer observed the situation. He disappeared for a few moments through a door that led to an office to return with some papers. He signaled the young woman to come closer.

"Miss, sign here, your cousin will be out in a few minutes."

The young woman smiled gratefully.

"Thank you officer."

Another door opened and Lucas appeared, he had a better aspect than Leon. For a brief moment, they both looked at each other. Lucas looked away and headed towards the exit. Manon turned to Leon.

"Leon, Numa will be leaving now. Could you please take him home?," she knew it was not a good idea to take her brother and the young man together in the same cab after what happened. Leon smiled at her for a moment.

"Don't worry, I'll take care of him."