Chapter 73

#COMMUNICATION

Manon arrived at the clinic in the evening. Lucas was sleeping, or so it seemed. She took a seat next to him and stayed there watching him. At some point her eyes closed and it was Lucas who woke her up.

"What are you doing here?"

"Lu, how are you?" she looked worried, "I came to talk to you but you were sleeping and I didn't want to wake you up."

"Numa broke up with me."

Manon looked at him, and looked down.

"I think it's for the best, at least for the moment, Lucas."

His brother smiled at him with a sad look.

"I don't think it's a momentary thing." He covered his face with his hands for a moment and then looked at her again "Manon, do you believe Giovanni really wanted to save my life?"

Manon looked at him a little surprised

"Lucas, our cousin has been a great manipulator from the beginning. And yes, he may have saved your life, but if it it was at risk first, it was mainly his fault. And I don't know to what extent he didn't do it on purpose. I am sorry Lucas, but I am doubting him a lot"

Lucas looked down, sad. Manon continued.

"Today for the first time we were talking a lot with Alex, about things we should have talked years ago and we didn't do. In the end we're not much better than our parents, we've followed the same pattern of embarrassing ourselves and hiding everything. And in part, it's his fault for not taking care of you while our parents were away". A few tears slid down his cheeks "I wasn't there to take care of you either and he, he knew what was going on but ignored it because he didn't know how to deal with your homosexuality, with the family and with our cousin. More things happened in between and in the end I feel like we ended up ruining your life."

She covered her face with her hands as she choked back a deep sob. Lucas came over and hugged her.

"I'm sorry, Lucas."

"Thank you, Mani. It's not your fault either, you are my sister, you were always there, every time you could," the young woman hugged him tightly while she cried all her anguish and fear.

That night they talked about many subjects that were due and Lucas for the first time was able to share without fear many of the things he lived in the past. Some of which he already discussed earlier with the therapist at the clinic. Some memories were painful and perhaps not all of them he could convey in the same way to his sister but he wanted to show her that he trusted her too and more than ever, he wanted to believe what the therapist told him, it was time to heal.